Help! Trying to start a brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1414

Reaction score
Hey hoping to get some advice. I've seen a ton of threads on this but kind of want to know everyone's take. I am trying an all grain set up very limited income I get the idea and process of it but honestly I need to make all my equipment. Not sure where to start.

I think the standard answer for this sort of inquiry is "look into brew-in-a-bag (aka BIAB)" due to the relatively small equipment investment that is required.

I can't help you with BIAB but I started with a low-cost setup in 2015 and for the most part I'm still using the exact same setup today. The basics:

- kettle for heating water and boiling wort - size it at least a few gallons bigger than your target batch size
- heat source (propane burner is a nice entry point but you can use your stovetop in a pinch if you don't mind waiting forever for things to boil)
- cheap floating analog thermometer
- mash tun made out of a cooler
- food-grade bucket for fermenting
- if bottling, then a bottling bucket and some flip top bottles
- if kegging, then a CO2 tank and kegs
- autosiphon and assorted tubing for transfers, etc.
- star san and PBW for cleaning

If you can use a setup like this and enjoy it, then you can look at future upgrades like fermentation temperature control, and quality-of-life things like pumps, pressurizable fermentors, etc.

Wether BIAB or 3V, you still need a large enough kettle for a full volume batch, so as long as you have the health or tools to handle lifting a bag or basket, everything you buy for BIAB will remain useful if you decide to go to a larger system. I'm slowly building a 3V keggle based system, but only because I have health issues that demand "accessible brewing". If I could lift a bag, I'd definitely start with that as I'm on a super tight budget too and the larger the system, the more small parts you need that really add the costs up. Take a look at the all-in-ones like the Anvil Foundry, Brewzilla etc.. Otherwise I'd recommend the best kettle (or keggle) that you don't see yourself outgrowing and after the bag or basket, you can start with a pump and recirculating parts and grow from there.

I am trying an all grain set up very limited income
Existing household kitchen equipment can be used to brew 1.5 gal (12 pack) batches. See Speed Brewing, 2nd chapters 1 and 2 for ideas on equipment and process. With a little creativity, this should scale up into the 2.5 gal batch size.

1654812630104.png

Hey hoping to get some advice. I've seen a ton of threads on this but kind of want to know everyone's take. I am trying an all grain set up very limited income I get the idea and process of it but honestly I need to make all my equipment. Not sure where to start.
Not sure what your budget is, but here is a link at a Brewzilla at a price you won't beat anywhere:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079MGBT1F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I bought one on May 21st at $320, so they have raised it since then, this is the shipped price, at least for Prime members (not sure about if you are not a prime member).

Lon

I'm going to second BrewnWKopperKat and suggest you don't rule out small batches. I started out brewing all grain five gallon batches but now I brew strictly 2.5 and I love it. The process is all the same so you can gain experience without risking $30-$50 with of ingredients.

If you brew 1.5 gallons you can ferment in a 2 gallon paint bucket $6

You can find 12qt pots for around $20

You can bring that amount of water up to temp on your stove probably. If not you can get a hot plate.

You can mash in your oven, just set the temp as low as it will go and maybe turn it off after the first ten minutes.

You're talking 2-5 lbs of grain per batch so very cheap.

If a batch doesn't turn out very well you only have a few bottles to suffer through.

If you end up taking this advice make sure you head over to this thread, 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

+1 on the all in one. Like the Anvil Foundry, They come with everything you need, even a wort chiller. The pump is extra but makes a big difference. I have a 6.5 and I use it for 3 gallon batches. +1 again for smaller batches.

5 gallon stock pot, a pair of paint strainer bags, white plastic 5 gallon bucket with lid, and a hydrometer. A piece of vinyl tubing for a siphon at bottling time. That much will get you started with making 2 1/2 gallon all grain beer. Should be able to get all of that for under $100. You can add to that to improve your process as you income allows.

Don’t forget to search for used equipment if you’re on a budget. Lots of people are willing to make deals on their unused or extra gear. I’ve even met a lot of great folks willing to pass off things for free, just let them know you’re starting out and looking to learn and you’ll be surprised how generous a lot of home brewers will be!

BIAB is your best bet. I agree about a kettle to do full volume batches, but you can cheat and do partial mashes to save tun space, then steep the milled specialty grains like you would an extract kit. There's also partial volume, also like with extract, where you can top up the fermenter to get a full 5 gallons after just boiling 2.5-3.5 gallons of wort.

There's also small batch brewing. A 5 gallon kettle for half batches is going to be a whole lot cheaper than a 15 gallon kettle for full 5 gallon or 10 gallon batches.

Back