Help? Too late to use the cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekim2112

Reaction score
I bought six gallons to harden up a few weeks back. They were supposedly UV pasteurized.

I've been busy and not gotten around to making the batch.

Now some of the bottles are poofed and pressurized and some are leaking a bit.

Is it worth my time to make the batch or is it too late? If they're already fermenting, wouldn't adding sugar and the cider yeast just add to the fermentation party, making the two processes happen together like this :mug: ????

Take the ones already going, put em in a sanitized bottle and add an airlock. You might get a very good wild fermented cider.

Don't worry about it. You can still add your yeast or let it go for a wild yeast cider.
I make about 8-10 batches of cider every fall, some with wild yeast, some where I let the wild yeast go and then add a commercial yeast.

I opened the hardest carbed one, it stunk like vinegar.

Opened another, it smelled pretty good. Lots of krausen in the bottle. I poured it in my beer glass and it had a nice head. Decent carbonation and it tastes fine.

There's one more that was poofed out and I'll pop that one later.

I'm letting the other 9 half-gallons warm to room temp and I will ferment those with the yeast if they taste like normal cider. I might boost the volume with a bottle or two of organic apple juice / cider.

Latest posts

Back