Help splitting a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimFarAway

Reaction score
So, I got a new 10gal pot and wilserbrewer bag. I got a weekend as a geographical bachelor, and a gift certificate for my LHBS. I have 2 empty 3gal carboys. I would like to brew once and split it, putting different yeast in each. 2.75 gal in each is my goal.

Is there anything I could do to go along with a saison? Looking for something lighter for summer drinking.

Thanks for any advice/tips/offcolor comments. :)

Perhaps a low abv trippel or an american pale. Not sure what else would work with the grain bill or a saison.

For the pale, boil some hops in a small pot and add that after you split the batch. You could also dry hop if you want.

Mash the whole lot, remove bag and sparge, add sparge to kettle.

If the 2 brews need different color, steeping grains, or hopping schedules, siphon half out to a bucket, and do a full boil after the first is done and in the fermentor.

I've done 3 different Saisons from one mash that way. Boiled and hopped 2/3 and before finishing, I removed half of that to receive extra herb additions later. The last 1/3 got some extra specialty grains (steeped) and was then boiled and finished with different hops (Citra). Ended up with 3 3-gallon batches.

If you want to keep it simple and avoid multiple boils I'd do something like an American blonde with the second half. IBU's in the 25 range. Grainbill could be pilsner with a little wheat, maybe some vienna. Add sugar or candi syrup to the saison half after transfer and pitch saison yeast. The second half pitch with a clean yeast and then dry hop. To push it more into pale ale range you could hopstand that half while still hot and pick up some IBU's and hop character that way.

Back