Help quick! please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyager

Reaction score
So I'm brewing the dunkelweizen in BCS and it calls for a 90 min boil and a 60 min hop addition of Hallertau (1 oz, 4% AA in 5 gal).

Well... I guess from force of habit I tossed in the hops at the start of the boil.

Do I go for the full 90 min (less DMS, more bittering), or cut it off at 60 min (more DMS, proper bittering)?

It's been 5 min... please help! :drunk:

Just roll with it and stay with the 90min boil. I would assume you setup your wort volume for a 90 min boil if you cut it back your gravity will be thrown off.

Just roll with it and stay with the 90min boil. I would assume you setup your wort volume for a 90 min boil if you cut it back your gravity will be thrown off.

Wow... that was fast. Thanks for the help, guys!!! I'll go with the 90!

I was planning on just topping up the necessary amount... is that a mistake?

If it's extract , why would a 90 min boil even be needed? 30 boil is fine for that... or even no boil

So how did it turn out

Wort tasted good! I'm excited to try the final product. Thanks for the help.

Also, to clear up the issue, I do BIAB... 2.5 gal batches (so half the BCS recipe ingredients). I just slowly added in water during the boil to make sure I finished at 2 gal in the end... it ended up being about 2 extra cups. I then added 1 gal of ice to chill the wort. That typically leaves me around 2.5 gal when I bottle.

If it's extract , why would a 90 min boil even be needed? 30 boil is fine for that... or even no boil

Some styles get flavor and color from caramelizing sugars in the boil.

Yes depending on what you are making a full 60min boil is not always necessary even brewing all grain.

Where do you get that added ice from?

I freeze a gallon of store bought spring water in two plastic rectangular containers (ziploc) a day or two before I brew... I haven't had any problems yet with contamination. If I ever do, I guess I'll start boiling it before hand. My beers also don't typically last much longer than a month or two so maybe that helps.

When i did extracts I would freeze 2 gallons of water and pour the hot wort over it, I got down to pitching temp pretty fast

Back