Help, quick! Fermentaton Finished???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodiekev

Reaction score
I was just about to rack my latest brew, Irish Stout, over to secondary, but when I removed the lid of the primary, there are still small bubbles creaping up to the wort surface. It has been eight days since I brewed. I only used one packet of ale yeast and I haven't seen or heard the airlock move for over three days. Should I replace lid and airlock and let it continue for a few more days? Or will it be okay to go ahead rack. Was planning on secondary for two weeks before bottling. Thanks in advance!

K

Take a hydrometer reading and transfer when you reach your final gravity. We can't count on cheap plastic airlocks to gage fermentation...

i'm sure even if it isn't finished (most likely it's close), it won't hurt much to rack it to secondary.

I just made an irish stout and it turned out good. I had a similar problem ie not knowing if fermentation had stopped. I checked the gravity and although it was a little higher than i would of liked it wasn't changing over 2 days so i deemed fermentation done. If you don't have a hydrometer its a guessing game as to if fermentation is done or not. They only cost a few bucks!

Alright, thanks for all the relpies. I have decided to leave it in primary at least for the rest of the week.Then, I will measure again.

The closet in which the fermentation is left stays around 55 degrees F, so maybe that has contributed to a slightly longer fermentation period. OG was an estimated 1.062, using an average of various calculators that use the same inputs. Current SG is 1.026 at 55 degrees F.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with the built in Alcohol scale on their hydrometer? How reliable are these estimates of potential ABV?

Thanks again,
K

You're fermenting an ale at 55 degrees fahrenheit? Yeah, that's going to take a long time to finish. Bring it up to about 65 and give it a few weeks there. Since this is a stout, there's not really any reason to use a secondary. Sure, your beer will be more clear... but it's a stout. How can you tell the difference?

Don't rely on the potential alcohol scale on the hydrometer. They are not accurate for beer.

This will get you close: (OG - FG) * 131 = ABV.

I agree with Llama, bump up the temp to 65-68 and leave it for a couple more weeks to finish out, I'd probably just skip the secondary at that point but you can still do it if you like.

All is well. I am going to wait another week or so. I have moved the batch to another closet inside that stays around 65-70, depending on whether my wife closes the door or not.

I realize that secondary is not necessary, however, I want to get my next brew going ASAP, so I need to free up my bucket.

FYI: For you bottlers out there, I just picked up a case (12 botltes) of Carta Blanca 32oz bottles from my neighborhood general store. Only cost $25. Well worth it to me. It never hurts to ask. They are also available at Total Wine for $25.99/case in NC.

K

Back