Help on Kai's sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstofer

Reaction score
I have a question on Kai's spreadsheet. I'm going to treat my water with pickling lime due to the high alkalinity, but I have a question in regards to the overall salt additions. There are two sections of salt additions; one being the "necessary salt additions" and the other being "necessary salt additions for lime treatment". Under my scenario, my "necessary salt additions" state that I'm to add 45 g of gypsum b/t the mash and sparge water. From what I understand, I put this in prior to the lime treatment - some of the calcium drops, but the sulfate remains, which is what I'm aiming for. Where I'm getting slightly confused is the "necessary salt additions for lime treatment" has 4.26g of gypsum listed as well. I'm not quite sure what to do; am I supposed to add this in addition to the 45g or just utilize this amount and then add the 45 after treatment, or simply put in 49.26???? Any help would be appreciated.

Kai did the Brewer's Friend water calculator and did a write up there. That might answer your questions as to his thought processes on this.

I have a question on Kai's spreadsheet. I'm going to treat my water with pickling lime due to the high alkalinity, but I have a question in regards to the overall salt additions. There are two sections of salt additions; one being the "necessary salt additions" and the other being "necessary salt additions for lime treatment". Under my scenario, my "necessary salt additions" state that I'm to add 45 g of gypsum b/t the mash and sparge water. From what I understand, I put this in prior to the lime treatment - some of the calcium drops, but the sulfate remains, which is what I'm aiming for. Where I'm getting slightly confused is the "necessary salt additions for lime treatment" has 4.26g of gypsum listed as well. I'm not quite sure what to do; am I supposed to add this in addition to the 45g or just utilize this amount and then add the 45 after treatment, or simply put in 49.26???? Any help would be appreciated.

How much water are you treating such that you need 45g of gypsum?

25 gallons. I'm also treating it to conform to an IPA so I will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 300ppm sulfate.

Back