HELP! OG too low. Can I fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi All.
So last night I brewed a SHaSH of Maris Otter and Mosaic (well almost- I used a little Warrior for the bittering addition) and my OG was low. After checking all of my math, which seemed right, I checked my brew thermometer against my Thermapen and it was off by almost 10 degrees! That means that means that instead of mashing at 152 I was mashing at 161 ish. My OG was 1.047, but I was expecting somewhere around 1.06…, and now I’m afraid that this is going to be a very bitter beer.

So, and I screwed, or is there a way to fix this (without throwing the flavor off too much)? Can I boil up some DME and add it? Can I add honey? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Add in some DME to get the OG where you want it, but you may have a lot of unfermentable sugars that will leave a high FG and a lot of maltiness to the beer.
Adding honey instead may not be a bad idea.

Like acidrain said, adding DME to something that you mashed that high will likely leave it really thick and malty. An easily fermentable sugar like honey or dextrose would be a better bet.
If you were really at 160F it likely won't be bitter, with more unfermentable sugars produced at high mash temperatures it is more likely to be overly sweet. But the IBU/OG will definitely be off so the perceived hoppiness will be different.

If it were me I would just leave it be. It is already going to be sweet. Adding honey or sugar, while increasing the og, will likely leave behind even more residual sugar while increasing ABV. Sounds to me like you are going to have a session-able malty/sweet SMASH.

If it were me I would just leave it be. It is already going to be sweet. Adding honey or sugar, while increasing the og, will likely leave behind even more residual sugar while increasing ABV. Sounds to me like you are going to have a session-able malty/sweet SMASH.

Honey is completely fermentable, and will leave the beer dryer than adding DME.

You are going to have a full bodied beer for sure. If it was me, I would just go with corn or table sugar. Those will ferment the driest and maybe let the hops shine through a little more? Also, having a little more booze in there might balance the maltiness as well. That or you should leave it alone.......

Ok, so I thought that I should post a follow up in case anyone else did the same thing.

This beer is gone- It was so good that it only lasted about two weeks. As others hypothesized, it was full bodied and low in alcohol. But the hops really came through and it tasted quite balanced.

Latest posts

Back