Help modify extract to specialty recipe (hefe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamouza

Reaction score
Hi guys, its been about a year since I've homebrewed. Shame on me. I'm a little out of touch with malt compositions.

I found this simple hefeweizen recipe around here, posted by HOOTER:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Danstar Munich
Yeast Starter: Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A

5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style. This yeast has always fermented very vigorously for me so use a blowoff tube. Enjoy

HERE'S WHAT I WANT TO MODIFY
I want to cut back on the DME and replace some of it with some light Munich and Pilsner malt (I know, it'll get a little bock-ish). I also want to drop the carahell, since I'm adding Pilsner and Munich, and add carapils.

SO can someone help me out calculating new malt weights? I'm thinking 60% wheat, 30% Pilsner, and 10% Munich. and what amounts should I use for the carapils?

Next, I want to use a real nice liquid yeast that I can reuse for my next batch. Any suggestions? I understand yeast quality is one of the major determinants of a nice wheat beer.
EDIT: I found YS3638 Bavarian Wheat from Wyeast that seems perfect.

hops, I want to change the hop schedule to 1 oz Hallerteau (bittering) and .5 oz Liberty (flavor)

any and all feedback will be greatly, greatly appreciated. thanks y'all! :mug:

How much DME are you wanting to replace and do you know what efficiency you expect? DME provides about 45 gravity pts per lb, so at 75% efficiency you would need about 1.66 lb grain per lb of DME. Replacing wheat extract with 60/40 wheat and pilsner sounds fine, I would decide what overall percentage of your recipe you want to be munich and calculate that separately. I don't think you really need the carapils with the wheat but up to you.

How much DME are you wanting to replace and do you know what efficiency you expect? DME provides about 45 gravity pts per lb, so at 75% efficiency you would need about 1.66 lb grain per lb of DME. Replacing wheat extract with 60/40 wheat and pilsner sounds fine, I would decide what overall percentage of your recipe you want to be munich and calculate that separately. I don't think you really need the carapils with the wheat but up to you.

Thanks for your input, I'm still a little lost and feeling newbie - so if I could ask you a couple more questions... specifically about calculating weights:

If I'm aiming for a 1.045 OG and I'm settling on a 60% DME wheat / 30% pilsner / 10% munich, how do I calculate how much for each?
about the carapils, the last time I brewed (a year ago), I felt it really did something for the head (and it was a wheat).

I'm a little unclear - do you want 60% of your recipe to be wheat or 60% of your recipe wheat DME (wheat DME is made from about 60% wheat and 40% barley). When trying to figure out percentages I find partial mash brews to be confusing because you need to account for efficiency with the grains and not the extract. I calculate as an all grain then convert to whatever percentage extract is desired. So if you are saying you want 1.045 beer that is 60% wheat/30% pilsner/10% munich and assuming 75% efficiency the all grain version would look something like:

5lb wheat malt
2.5 lb pilsner
13 oz munich

A manageable partial mash with a little over 4 lb grain and half the fermentables from extract would be (this is calculated by replacing 4 lb of grain with 2.5 lb DME - in a ratio of about 65% wheat to 35% pilsner, close to the make up of your typical wheat extract) :

2.5 lb wheat DME
2.5 lb wheat malt
1 lb pilsner
13 oz munich

You could throw in a half lb carapils if you wish but the wheat malt should provide head retention. Is that what you were looking for? Do you know how to do the mash?

I don't have the equipment with me at college to run a partial mash yet. My original intent with the thread was to steep some grains in addition to the wheat dme (which I did not know contained barley, but after reading up on it - it makes sense). You spurred me on to do some more research to figure out this confusion and I just learnt that both Pilsen and Munich malts need to be mashed, as they wont convert when steeped.

My next bit of research taught me that Munich LME is a 50/50 blend of pale and munich malts. Considering this, I might as well drop the Pilsen DME.

back to the drawing board
shooting for 1.0435 OG @ 75% (1.050 would be nice, but the weights split nicer this way)
3lbs Wheat DME
1/2 lb Munich LME
1/4 lb Carapils (steeped for 20 mins @155F)
and I'll probably chuck some Irish Moss in
-------------------------------------------------

Wow, I was really confused for a couple posts. Thanks for working through this with me. I'm satisfied with this grain bill, what do you think?

edit: Would anyone care to double check my calculations? For some reason, I feel as if that is not a whole lot of malt.

You were correct you don't have enough extract. The original started with 5 lb DME, and LME has a little less fermentables than DME per lb because of the water. I would go with this, it will give you about 1.048 and I think gives you good percentages of your ingredients:

4.5 lb wheat DME
1 lb Munich LME
.5 lb carpils

Also, just for the future a partial mash is really just a steep at a more controlled temp with a defined amount of water for a little longer. So you don't really need any more equipment than a bag and a pot as you can wrap the pot in blankets to keep it warm.
:mug:

edit: corrected the numbers and that was munich LME not DME

Thanks for getting back to me. I was tripping about this all night and redid the math in the morning and ended up with 4 lbs wheat dme and 2 lbs Munich lme. I decided to drop the carapils to save the half hour time steeping (which is why I'm avoiding a simple partial mash for this brew).

I've been putting off brewing for a year, and I really regret. I used to partially blame my roommates. We've already postponed two brew dates and they wanted to push this one back too (Thursday).

I've got a short timeframe between class and work, but I know I'll have enough time to do just and extract beer. Next week, though...

Back