Help:MLT Keg build, Direct Fire,No Recirc for now. SS braid or SS false bottom/tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Folks, I've seen many different equipment builds for a converted Keg. The amount of information seems to be scarce as far as complete info.

Im interested in direct firing the MLT(I could wrap it with an insulation if heat loss is major) I've located a few false bottoms, and braids and hear negatives on both.
Is there anyone out there using these setups that can comment as to what they are doing? I don't plan on doing the march pump thing yet, I wish to direct fire, and batch sparge.
Im assuming batch sparging and direct firing, I am able to stir the wort and grain while direct firing to not burn the grain and wort? Will doing this collapse a braid? dislodge a false bottom?

I know for sure I'm going to order stainless bulkheads, and valves from Bargainfittings.com...
Does anyone have some advice, based on what I've provided on which method may work better than the other?

Thanks for the help folks...

I'd only be speaking from what I've researched and not from practical experience, but I thought I would mention since you are going weldless you might want to check out the classifieds, pickles had some awsome 1/2 NPT bulkheads super-cheap... You might be able to save some $$$ doing the build. I have no affiliation with pickles other than I'm finishing my MT build and just bought some fittings.

i direct fire my keggle while doing a mash with the BIAB method, and I'm yet to burn the grain, wort, or nylon bag. You only need to turn the burner on really low in order to raise the temp, so I don't think there is any risk of direct fire burning.

Back