help, miracle needed! flat beer misery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
I'm having a BBQ tomorrow and I made my very first KEGGED batch of beer for it, using an s30 valve that allows natural carbing and lets out excess pressure and then I add co2 (via small soda stream canisters) when the beer gets to halfway/starts glugging at the tap...

tonight Ive sampled my first glass ahead of the bbq tomorrow and the beer is flat and doesn't taste great either really (which im thinking is related to the failure to carb), it was supposed to be an australian ipa, 40 pints with 110g of priming sugar added to the keg.

I had the idea (whilst gripped in fear an panic) to screw a co2 canister onto the valve and maybe it'd force carb it at least a little (?), i begin screwing it down, half worried that it might blow up my mostly full keg and it keeps turning and turning, I then noticed the rubber around the s30 valve which seals it inside the screw cap was perishing the whole time im screwing the co2 cannister onto it... d'oh
I now can't unscrew the co2 cannister holder off the s30 valve because its turning itself so im gona have to try and find some very skinny mole grips...

so I put it to the wiser people and more experienced... what do you think I've one wrong? was the s30 valve faulty to begin with? did the rubber seal not hold to allow for carbing? was my rescue attempt stupid? can i do anything else, except pray for a miracle or build a time machine?

trying to remain positive, regards furstyjaymar13

Do you have to reach into the keg to get at the nut that secures the valve to the keg?

How long ago did you add the sugar, and at what temperature was it stored at?

I siphoned it out of the fermenter on 19th of may into the keg and its been sat in an airing cupboard, very well insulated, recently house temperatures have been 27 degrees celcius but it couldn't have got any lower than 20 degrees celcius

Do you have to reach into the keg to get at the nut that secures the valve to the keg?

Sorry not sure what you mean but i have (hopefully) uploaed a two pictures of the valve and kit along with the keg type

s30 and associated kit.jpg

5g keg.JPG

Sorry not sure what you mean but i have (hopefully) uploaed a two pictures of the valve and kit along with the keg type

So the piece that is spinning protrudes through the lid? Can you take the lid off so you can get a hold of the back side and remove the CO2 holder? You might be able to fashion a gasket out of something else and then re-carb the beer.

So the piece that is spinning protrudes through the lid? Can you take the lid off so you can get a hold of the back side and remove the CO2 holder? You might be able to fashion a gasket out of something else and then re-carb the beer.

I understand you, yeah I can it is a screwcap, I don't know how I could do that but Ive got some handy people that might be able to help me, thanks good idea!

If all else fails anyone got any ideas as to what I can add to make a punch out of it? I was thinking rum and something fruity?

Back