Help Me!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
Got a problem. This may affect security. The other day, I told my wife I was going to pick up the makings for the next batch while I was in town. She thought that'd be cool, then asked " Aren't you spending more on beer ,now that you're making ,it than you did when you were buying it?". My blood went cold. I'd been drinking mostly cheap American beer and supplementing with imports occasionally. Now I only buy beer at the store for the bottles . I've gotta empty them before I can use them. I told her that she wasn't supposed to realize that and we dropped it. She was grinning because she'd caught me off gaurd. My HBS guy says that I should explain to her that I'm drinking a much higher quality beer at a lower price than I'd pay at the store. Maybe that'll work. She only drinks wine and tequila so that probably won't impress her. A word of advice: If you should find yourself caught in the same situation, don't say " You weren't supposed to figure that out." .

Stupid Sudsmonkey

sudsmonkey said:
Got a problem. This may affect security. The other day, I told my wife I was going to pick up the makings for the next batch while I was in town. She thought that'd be cool, then asked " Aren't you spending more on beer ,now that you're making ,it than you did when you were buying it?". My blood went cold. I'd been drinking mostly cheap American beer and supplementing with imports occasionally. Now I only buy beer at the store for the bottles . I've gotta empty them before I can use them. I told her that she wasn't supposed to realize that and we dropped it. She was grinning because she'd caught me off gaurd. My HBS guy says that I should explain to her that I'm drinking a much higher quality beer at a lower price than I'd pay at the store. Maybe that'll work. She only drinks wine and tequila so that probably won't impress her. A word of advice: If you should find yourself caught in the same situation, don't say " You weren't supposed to figure that out." .

Stupid Sudsmonkey
Just tell her you could could be out at the bar drinking beer instead of being at home doing something you enjoy. Just Kidding...(Dark_Ale..The instigator)

Ah, the wife unit catches on fast! :mad: My wife has been keeping a mental note of all the "brewery items" I've been buying and has begun to ask questions about my new "hobby". :rolleyes: I tried to explain to her that there is some initial start-up costs, but shortly I will be brewing premium ales for mere pennies. This summer I'm brewing from a bucket, what will she do when I move up to a three-tier stainless 15 gallon setup? Of course, previous experience has told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. The key is to give the wife a little task around the brewery so she feels involved in the operation. :D

Born Brewing Co. said:
The key is to give the wife a little task around the brewery so she feels involved in the operation. :D

Shoot. My wife tells me to stick that in my ear. :D

I've found she is much more susceptable to new equipment if I tie in the fact that I need it to brew her "special brand". She's asking me to add fruit and honey and crap so I come up with silly ideas that prove why I need a SS conical fermenter for her blueberry suprise. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. :p

i just turn the tables on her. did we really need new curtians and matching towels for the bathroom?

works just about everytime :)

I ran into that, so I made her a batch of wine. She enjoys it and loves passing out bottles to her friends. So twice a year I'll make a batch of wine and no problems, because all the new equipment can be used in the winery, or so I claim. :D

Of course, previous experience has told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Yup! I think my wife appreciates the fact I have a hobby that I can do at home, as opposed to something that requires time away from home.

As an aside, she hates beer. Well, she did until I got ahold of some Lindemann's lambic, and she loves it! I'm gonna see if I can make something similar for her. Ya know, to grease the wheels. ;)

Sam75 said:
Yup! I think my wife appreciates the fact I have a hobby that I can do at home, as opposed to something that requires time away from home.

As an aside, she hates beer. Well, she did until I got ahold of some Lindemann's lambic, and she loves it! I'm gonna see if I can make something similar for her. Ya know, to grease the wheels. ;)

My wife totally supports the brewing, and she loves the way the house smells when the hops are added. Just Thursday she brewed her first batch....Honey Wheat. We Racked into secondary yesterday, Has a wonderful smell, Taste great. I have always made strong hoppy ales in the past, but hopefully this will be a beer we both can enjoy. Does anyones wife like a certain homebrew? If so what kind?

Dark_Ale said:
My wife totally supports the brewing, and she loves the way the house smells when the hops are added. Just Thursday she brewed her first batch....Honey Wheat. We Racked into secondary yesterday, Has a wonderful smell, Taste great. I have always made strong hoppy ales in the past, but hopefully this will be a beer we both can enjoy. Does anyones wife like a certain homebrew? If so what kind?

Unfortunately (or maybe not?) my wife leaves it all to me, unless I really need some help. I made her try some orange-corriander weisse I made. It came our really nice.....she about gagged. Just not a beer person, I guess, unless its something sweet, like Lindemanns. She did ask me if I knew how to make mead, though.....

Anyway, it's probably all for the best. At least she's not "sampling" every day and getting all chubby unlike myself. :D

Getting into homebrewing for economic reasons is pure folly. It's a hobby. Probably the best hobby, but a hobby nonetheless. People spend money on hobbies because they like them, it's fun and rewarding. And just like anything else, if you start brewing, you always want to get better, and that means you usually spend more money (equipment, ingredients, etc). But, I'll bet the average woman who takes up scrapbooking spends twice as much as any homebrewer on their respective hobbies. As far as hobbies go, homebrewing is pretty cheap. Hell, try scuba diving if you want to lay out some bucks. Don't compare homebrewing to buying beer in the store, you will lose every time. You also do yourself a disservice because that's not why you took up homebrewing in the first place. Just tell your wife it's a good thing you didn't take up drag racing, scuba diving, or power boats. Once she realizes how tame the hombrewing hobby is in comparison, I don't think the subject will come up again.

Prosit!

Dark_Ale said:
well, i just kegged an amber cerveza for my wife, and she likes some of the brews. she doesn't care for the my big, hoppy beers. she likes the german styles: vienna, bock, dunkel. i've brewed her honey wheats, Texas bocks, etc. she also likes my coffee porter and asked me just yesterday about an oatmeal stout. she's a beautiful babe with damn good tatse in beer! :p
and she has commented on the hobby, but in an awesome way. she likes the fact that i'm not off hunting every weekend in winter, or taking the $20,000 bay boat fishing w/ my buds on every nice weekend (not that their is anything wrong with either hobby, just $$$$$). it's a good hooby that allows an escape from our crazy, hectic work lives and to express our artful, creative side......AND GET A DAMN GOD BUZZ!!! WOO-HOO!
she never complains about me buying stuff either. i just keep her in the loop before i drop some coin on anything big. she does the same for me.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

My wife doesn't mind the hobby. She does mind the mess it makes and she didn't like the smell when I used to brew inside. She doesn't drink beer, so she can't appreciate it. We did make a wine a while ago, which she helped with and now enjoys drinking.

My other hobby is my motorcycle. She also doesn't like that. She doesn't understand why I "needed" to get new louder pipes. Unfortunately, I can't enjoy both hobbies at the same time. Brewing takes all day, so no riding on brew day and I don't think I even need to get into riding a bike after drinking :p

Kephren said:
My wife doesn't mind the hobby. She does mind the mess it makes and she didn't like the smell when I used to brew inside. She doesn't drink beer, so she can't appreciate it. We did make a wine a while ago, which she helped with and now enjoys drinking.

My other hobby is my motorcycle. She also doesn't like that. She doesn't understand why I "needed" to get new louder pipes. Unfortunately, I can't enjoy both hobbies at the same time. Brewing takes all day, so no riding on brew day and I don't think I even need to get into riding a bike after drinking :p

The bike is another one of my hobbies. She tolerates it, too....loud pipes and all. :D I'm hoping to get a touring bike in the future so we can ride together more. If she's not interested, I'll buy (or build) a rigid chopper. :D

Back