Help me with my label please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
Here is my label:

Millstonelabel.jpg

Two things that I would like to do, add realistic depth to the millstone and have better definition in the barley field. I use GIMP, and use to be moderately skilled, but I'm rusty.

If realistic depth is what you are looking for... you need some shadows and edges on the actual wheel itself. Also, the lettering shadows work, but are a little too crisp and reflective to be realistic. As for the barley fields, I would find an image online and use it.

If you go onto youtube, and look for a guy called GimpKnowHow, you can learn alot.
He sounds like some snot nosed kid who shows you how to do things, but he definately has talent, and is pretty easy to follow.

I learned just today how to make text curve along a path for neck labels (looks 100% better when it curves properly...)

Yeah it's tough to show depth or realism with drawn images. Get yourself a real photo of a field of grass, wheat, grains or whatever, then find a real photo of the circular item (washer or nut). Emboss your text on there and it'll look GREAT, I use Adobe products, I haven't used gimp so however you can accomplish things there I sure you know how. Drop shadows and gradients are a quick way to show dynamic depth easily:

Label.jpg

Blur the edges of the millstone itself it is too sharp for the image behind it.

It makes it look too fake.

Back