Help Me To Pick Out Rhizomes For Next Year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
I am (told, so far anyway, by the wife) getting to build 2 more arbors for next year, and allowed to put plant more rhizomes.

I am building 2 arbors, and then because of that, that means I can plant 3 different types of hop plants.

(The way I currently have my first arbor setup is like this:

X1 ------ X1
| -------- |
X2 ------ X2

With each being a hop plant and a corner of the arbor. So X1 and X1 are one type and X2 and X2 are another type.)

I currently have Chinook and Cascade.

I am going to be able to plant 3 more types.

What recommendations for the upcoming spring does everyone make for me?

What do you brew?
I'll just throw out Great Lakes Hops out there. They don't sell rhizomes, they sell actual growing plants.

I grew centennial and zeus this year. First year plants. Eastern PA. The centennials did alright for first year plants, but the zeus did extremely well.
My Horizon grew about 3 feet, and my Willamette grew about 12 feet.

I grew both from rhizomes from local homebrew store and small plants from great lakes. The great lakes plants did way better.

Get some aroma and flavor varieties that will be different than what you have. Maybe something earthy or spicy like tettnang, hallertau or saaz, or something some fruity if u can find.

I've ordered actual plants from Great Lakes Hops as well, and they take off very quickly. Been quite pleased

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474688406.470631.jpg
This is a Saaz I planted a month ago from GLH. It was about 6 inches tall when i got it.

Back