Help me stop drinking Bud Light!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget Miller Lite. And forget their commercial, you want GHT in your beer.

Spend a couple weeks drinking Harp, or Killian's. After that, the next Bud Light you drink will taste like dirty water.

I would recommend that anyone that craves the "taste" of BMC to try a pair of scissors to the temple, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for decreasing the population of the board. :D ;)

Zombie Zero said:
BMC is for people who really like to pee.
Remove two letters, and it's still true:

BMC is for people who really like pee.

I will now proudly wear my EAC title.

EDIT: DAMN, I didn't beat post-whore to this one.

I say drink what you like.

Don't let anyone tell what you should like or drink and crap like that.

I'm a beer snobb myself and got friends in Idaho and they all love my home brew but they still wonder back to bud, bud lite and coors lite even a few like Black Label. HAHA. Oh well, its what they like.

Ill go ahead and say it......I really do enjoy a Miller Lite

Theres a time and a place for every type style of beer. Except a Belgian IMHO. :cross:

This is going to piss a couple of you off.....But In one of my lectures, one of the professors referred to Coor Light as a perfect example of a flawless beer. Flavorless in many opinions yes, but flawless none the less. For a style of beer that will accentuate a flaw, and make it stick out like a sore thumb, Coors Light has succeeded in brewing a beer without flaws.

My hat is off the those who can brew a flawless beer on that scale, and be so damn consistant about it. So say what you will about megaswill. Do I drink it? Sure....but just as much as I drink any other style of beer. Thats the beauty of the whole thing. There is a beer for every occasion.

When I'm faced with free BMC or nothing at all, I'll drink it over most other alcohol unless I'm in the mood for a gin and tonic. I had to force down a couple buds tonight at a business reception. Geez, I couldn't even catch a buzz.

I'm a beer snob.

Drink what you want but don't expect me to drink it.

Saying that there are time when they just is nothing else. Day to day I'll go without but sometimes after a few days in the desert when I get back to a populated area I'll drink anything.

I never cared for BMC, but then I generally don't care for mildly flavored foods and beverages. However, I don't see anything wrong with liking these beers, either. As has been said already; everyone is entitled to like what they want, and I don't see why someone should be afraid or ashamed to admit to liking BMC.

Lone Star is my big swill of choice

I guess it's more of a pride thing really...

Everyone in my family drinks Miller Lite and at the young age of 13 I decided I'd never drink it..

If I'm going to a show or something Lone Star's what I'll drink even though it is a bit hard to find at some places...

SOB -

In my experience it takes time to really learn to appreciate different styles of beer and get out of the macrobrew rut. I used to think Killians was tasty, but now it seems boring. Just keep trying different things, but if you find something you like there's nothing wrong with sticking with it for a while. You'll find your way eventually ;)

Richard said:
SOB -

In my experience it takes time to really learn to appreciate different styles of beer and get out of the macrobrew rut. I used to think Killians was tasty, but now it seems boring. Just keep trying different things, but if you find something you like there's nothing wrong with sticking with it for a while. You'll find your way eventually ;)

The past week or two i have been trying new beer. Everytime I go out I make sure I try atleast 1 new beer.

Last night I was in desperate need of some beer and the only thing open at the time was a gas station. Not having my favorite - Sam Adams Light, I picked some Molson which I used to enjoy as an upgrade from Old Milwaukee Light back in hte day. Back then I used to think of Molson as a "Darker Beer" now, it isn't the same as I thought it was. First it is a lot lighter than I though it was, and it just doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Now, Bud Light taste nasty! I have to choke down a few before they taste good, but my tastes are changing!

I'm glad I discovered good beer when I was in Europe, which forced me to seek out good beer once I got back home. I wondered what the hell was wrong with everyone to make them like the swill I was always handed at parties, so I was strictly a mixed-drink guy until I tasted an authentic weißbier. :tank:

I told my gf that Bud Light has Formaldehyde in it as a preservative and now she can no longer drink Bud light:ban:
My swill of choice is PBR because it is not swill even thought it is a BMC it does not have those funky off and odd tastes to them

Lone Star is my big swill of choice

I guess it's more of a pride thing really...

Everyone in my family drinks Miller Lite and at the young age of 13 I decided I'd never drink it..

If I'm going to a show or something Lone Star's what I'll drink even though it is a bit hard to find at some places...

Yeah, if I have to go cheap I'll go with Lone Star. If I have to pick among BMC products, I'll go with the silver bullet. It's been my faithful companion for many a tailgate.

If you like Bud Lite but are looking for the next step, so to speak. Yuengling Lager would probably be a good choice.

Ugh, that's the second time I've done this. I swear I wasn't perusing the back pages this time. . . . I must have clicked on the "similar threads" thing at the bottom of some thread. Sorry again. :eek:

Go get yourself a 6 er of IPA and drink them (not necesarily all at one time) and then try some BMC. I swear if you can choke down a few IPAs, then your tastes WILL change!

Holy Necro-posting Batman!

+1 on that! I started the thread what...2 years ago? Anyways, as an update I now brew enough to usually drink only homebrew at home. If I run out for some reason that I punish myself by drinking bud light or PBR if I have it around. PLus, when I go back home I have to drink whatever's in the parent's fridge, which is usually PBR or Bud Light.

If you like Bud Lite but are looking for the next step, so to speak. Yuengling Lager would probably be a good choice.

Good luck finding the Yuengling outside of PA, and FL. They typically only sell it in state where they brew it. Which sucks, cuz the stuff is damn good! You can't find it in Ohio...I know that! I think I heard someone say they had it in SC though...

I admit I didn't read all 7 pages, so if it's been said, well, I second it.

I got into different beers in college. I tried a Flying Dog porter because the label was bad ass. It was great. From then i would always drink one at the beginning of the night before switching to icehouse/miller/bud. I was in college afterall.
After college I got a job traveling and thats when the obsession began. I would spec out the local micros everywhere I went. American Pales and IPAs were my Haven. I then got into porters, and towards the end of my traveling really started venturing to belgians and tried my first sour.
My advice to tasting other beers is to (this may sound ridiculous but it's truth) read about the beer, understand the beer and what it's is supposed to be. Then taste the beer for what it's individual qualities are.
You will not enjoy a beer if you go into them thinking "I wonder If I'll like this better than BL". Because in the back of your mind you'll be comparing it to BL, when it doesn't match you're mind will say wrong, don't like.!

So taste each beer for what's it has to offer. Try not to taste necesarrily good vs bad, but taste and think of what you're tasting.

Of course you don't need to do this everytime you open a beer, but it helps (at least helped me) appreciate different styles and beers for their individual qualities and not just as another bottle of beer.

Bud is still my favorite beer. Home brew is usually my least favorite do to the fact I'm making it. Some of my buddy's make great home brew.

Colo, why don't you try a six pack of Dale's Pale Ale, it comes in cans just up the road from you in Lyons, Oskar Blues brew Pub.
+ 100 on Dales Pale....mmmmmm...a hoppy orgy in your mouth....mmmm soooo goooood. Plus the Sam's Club liquor store carries it and it is pretty cheap. That reminds me to go to Sam's tonight

+1 on that! I started the thread what...2 years ago? Anyways, as an update I now brew enough to usually drink only homebrew at home. If I run out for some reason that I punish myself by drinking bud light or PBR if I have it around. PLus, when I go back home I have to drink whatever's in the parent's fridge, which is usually PBR or Bud Light.

Good luck finding the Yuengling outside of PA, and FL. They typically only sell it in state where they brew it. Which sucks, cuz the stuff is damn good! You can't find it in Ohio...I know that! I think I heard someone say they had it in SC though...
We have Yuengling in Beer Country Colorado!!!

I guess I don't understand "slammin' a case" of cheap tasteless beer just to get drunk.I appreciate the flavors of beer too much to waste it in that fashion.If I want to get drunk then I'll drink canadian whiskey and have to do a lot less drinking to get me there and feel a lot better the next morning rather than consuming 1500 calories and pissing all night.If I want a lighter tasting beer,I'll drink a wit,hefe, kolsch or a pilsner but I got a real problem with anything brewed with more corn and rice than barley.I think thats the real problem people have breaking themselves from--that they think beer is supposed to taste like fermented corn and rice,not malted barley and hops.My .02

We have Yuengling in Beer Country Colorado!!!

Yuengling is pretty much everywhere in the US; I've lived from Maine to Los Angeles and it's always been easily available. Not surprising, since it's the 6th largest brewery in the US in terms of sales (Anheuser, Miller, Coors, Pabst, Boston Beer Co (Sam Adams), and Yuengling).

It's actually the biggest US-owned brewery in terms of volume brewed now that Anheuser has been sold--the biggest 3 are internationally owned, and Pabst and Sam Adams sell more but contract out a lot of the actual brewing (if Sam keeps adding internal capacity they'll probably overtake Yuengling soon).

Yuengling is pretty much everywhere in the US; I've lived from Maine to Los Angeles and it's always been easily available.

According to Yuengling they only have distributors in 13 states (including DC) so I'm a little surprised you've had it in LA and in between.

It's also the oldest brewery in the US.

I drink Yeungling when im slummin. I have never found other than in Delaware, PA and MD. I have been all over the northeast and out west and have yet to see it anywhere. Props to those who have. I can get a case of bottles in DE for 14.99 usually.

You'll eventually get a taste for micro beers.

I was the same way. Hell I couldnt drink beer without thinking it was "gross" till I was almost 22. Before then I always drank liquor. Then I started on Coor's light, and Bud light was super easy to drink after that. Never liked Miller light though. Fast Forward to 2007 I'm back in the states and I jumped into homebrewing, which pretty much forced me to drink better beer. And it was not a hard transition at all. I LOVE beer so much now, I just can't get enough of it. And now, I wont drink BMC unless we go to a strip club or a bar and I'm not the one buying LOL.

You'll eventually get a taste for micro beers.

For me it was the other way around, sort of. Guinness was the one macro I really liked from the outset, but most micros were at least interesting. It was a long while before I found any merit to American light lagers; I'll rarely buy them, but I can down a High Life or Molson or Miller/Bud Light on a hot summer's day now, whereas when I first started drinking I wouldn't have bothered with them at all.

Regular Budweiser and Sam Adams Boston Lager are the 2 holdouts that I've never gotten into (Bud Light is drinkable, and many of the Sam seasonals are pretty good). They have what I call "Schlitz Malt Liquor" syndrome, where I always feel like I just got a mouthful of hair after drinking them.

I was the same way. Hell I couldnt drink beer without thinking it was "gross" till I was almost 22. Before then I always drank liquor.\

I was 23 or 24 before I started drinking at all, so that makes a difference.

Boston lager isn't to bad IMO. I think it may be because i can get a 22oz at my local beer store for 1.45 and in DE we have no tax and you can use it for botteling

Back