Help me project how long the beer will take before ready to drink...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got the ingredients to brew a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone -- mmm, yum.

If I brew it this weekend, do you guys think it'll be ready for April 18th? I'm kegging it.

I know the ferment will only take a week -- I'll leave it in another week for the yeast to take care of any baddies...so I'd rack to the Keg on March 28th...which gives it 3 weeks to age a bit.

You think it'll be good or should I hold onto the ingredients and go with a quaffer like a scottish ale? Doing it for the Tennessee Spring Game!! :mug:

Also, if anyone wants to throw out suggestions for taking a keg tailgating in a car, let me know -- it'll be my first time taking a keg out of my designated keezer.

For that time-frame, I would give it 3 weeks on the cake, then keg it. I don't keg, so maybe I am not giving the best advice. But I feel like the beer would be better served having an extra week on the cake vs the benefits of an extra week of conditioning in the keg.
I think you should have a good beer by then in either case though.

Two weeks on the cake, crash cool, and into the keg.

A week in the keg at room temp, then chill and carb.

:mug:

Nor sure of your situation, but if I wanted to take a keg on the road, i would transfer it to a clean keg just prior to taking it. I have found that the sediment in the bottom of the keg will remix with the nice bright brew you waited patiently for. Maybe a longer primary would eliminate the yeast in the bottom of the keg as well.

You didn't mention whether you rack to a secondary. What works for me is a week in primary, and 2-3 weeks in secondary. Rack to the keg and carbonate for a week, and you will be ready to go.

btw - War Eagle!

You didn't mention whether you rack to a secondary. What works for me is a week in primary, and 2-3 weeks in secondary. Rack to the keg and carbonate for a week, and you will be ready to go.

btw - War Eagle!

Good advice until the war eagle part ;)

:mug: to the SEC

So you have roughly 6 weeks from today. That is plenty of time.
1 week in the primary, 3 weeks in the secondary and then transfer to keg and get it as cold as possible. Below 32 is ideal, but not frozen. You should be able to go 28 or maybe less. Force carb and then warm it up to serve.
Also, ever head of PVPP? That stuff is magic for clarifying anything, just be careful with it as it can strip flavor and color as well.

Back