Help me figure out a hop schedule for stone delicious IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So from researching and listening to Mitch Steele on Brad Smiths podcast from what I've figured the recipe is such:

5 gallon batch

95% American 2 row pale malt
5% Vienna and Munich (he says a little bit, so I'm assuming 5% total grist but I guess it could be upward of 5% each)

The hops are El Dorado and Lemon Drop along with Calypso. 80 IBUs

Going with simple California Ale Yeast

Fom what I've found El Dorado is used for bittering along with dry hopping. And lemon drop with calypso for late edition. So how would you guys use these in a hop schedule? Go super easy or more complex throughout the boil?

Thanks for any input.

the one clone I did, I played around with the IBU's and hops schedule in Brewers Friend to figure out the timing. I would say my clone came out 95% there. The worse that happens is you get beer and if it is off, you might even come up with something better. :rockin:

I would save the el dorado for flavor/aroma additions. Dont waste it on the bittering. Any bittering hop will do. I didnt know it had calypso in it though. Wonder why they dont mention it on the bottle. Ive had this beer many times and here's my best shot at trying to get the same flavor profile. El Dorado is the dominating component IMO

@60min: 1 oz bittering hop, adjusted to target 80IBUs if you really care
@20min: 1 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop
@0min: 2 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop / 1 oz Calypso
*hopstand for 60min*
@30min into hopstand: 2 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop / 1 oz Calypso
@dry: 2 oz El Dorado
@2nd dry: 2 oz El Dorado

I would save the el dorado for flavor/aroma additions. Dont waste it on the bittering. Any bittering hop will do. I didnt know it had calypso in it though. Wonder why they dont mention it on the bottle. Ive had this beer many times and here's my best shot at trying to get the same flavor profile. El Dorado is the dominating component IMO

@60min: 1 oz bittering hop, adjusted to target 80IBUs if you really care
@20min: 1 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop
@0min: 2 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop / 1 oz Calypso
*hopstand for 60min*
@30min into hopstand: 2 oz El Dorado / 1 oz Lemon Drop / 1 oz Calypso
@dry: 2 oz El Dorado
@2nd dry: 2 oz El Dorado

Nice. I might go this way, yeah I didn't know calypso was in it either until I watched the interview about it on their website, also found on YouTube

Has anyone else brewed this recipe, or something similar? I had delicious for the first time the other day and thought it was great.

I rememberposting aboutthis awhile back, and never did anything with it.
I still enjoyed thebeer on my trip.
Did anyone attempt this????

It appear a simple beer
malt: pale / vienna / munich
bitter, aroma/flavour: nugget / calypso / lemon drop
dryhop - el-dorado
Yeast WLP007 (obviously)
around 1.070?

Taken straight from Beersmith when I did it.

14 lbs 0.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.8 %
11.5 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.7 %
5.9 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 29.8 IBUs
0.40 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

1.30 oz El Dorado [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 42.2 IBUs

1.00 oz El Dorado [11.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 19.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [4.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

1.00 oz Calypso [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Calypso [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days

This was one of the first recipes I did. I would probably go back and Dry hop for at least 5 days and probably take the late additions down to about 10 mins

From what i've found the grain bill is 80% Pale malt and then the other 20% is a mix of Munich and Vienna from what I remember. Let us know what you do and how it turned out.

Edit from my original post, maybe he did 90% pale malt

Taken straight from Beersmith when I did it.

14 lbs 0.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.8 %
11.5 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.7 %
5.9 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 29.8 IBUs
0.40 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

1.30 oz El Dorado [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 42.2 IBUs

1.00 oz El Dorado [11.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 19.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [4.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

1.00 oz Calypso [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Calypso [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days

This was one of the first recipes I did. I would probably go back and Dry hop for at least 5 days and probably take the late additions down to about 10 mins

From what i've found the grain bill is 80% Pale malt and then the other 20% is a mix of Munich and Vienna from what I remember. Let us know what you do and how it turned out.

Edit from my original post, maybe he did 90% pale malt

Interesting hop bill.
I know you weren't planning on cloning the beer exactly, so it makes sense, I think I'll do similar malt but spit Vienna and Munich evenly.
My dryhop will be all El-Dorado too.
Lemon drop at 0 with one or both calypso /nugget.
With 60/30 additions too.

This was my recipe and it was well received. It had a nice smooth taste and finished like a lemon starburst.

13 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
1.25 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 44.1 IBUs
1.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 16.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Lemondrop [4.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 4.7 IBUs
1.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 7 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Lemondrop [4.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 8 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Thinking about increasing the whirlpool time to 20 mins and dropping the hops in after 160. I also might add an extra 2 oz of lemondrop to the dry hop schedule

Finally got around to brewing something similar. It changed a little from the above. This is what i used (mainly because I've never used 99% of these hops before.

85% PAle Malt
7.5% Vienna
7.5% Munich
Mashed @ 65 deg C.

90 min boil
30g Chinook @ 60min
30g Azacca @ 20min
75g Lemon Drop @ 0min
25g Azacca @ 0min

150g El-Dorado @Dryhop

3xUS-05

Dryhopping in a couple of days

this is what i brewed near on 2 weeks ago, kegging on sunday.i had azacca on hand, so used that instead of nugget/calypso

Finally got around to this review.
It's bloody good tbh. Very different hop profile to other IPA's out there.
Is it like delicious IPA? Probably not ( I can't do a side by side). Lemon bite candied orange and some bitter grapefruit which is subtle. It really good. Finally starting to get IPA's nailed down now I think. Pic below.

I'm thinking the same beer but using traditional simcoe cascade and possibly mosaic to get an idea of the difference between the beers

IMG_1532.jpg

Reviving this thread as a new homebrewer who really loves Delicious IPA and am targeting an approximation of it for my first all grain (BIAB) batch. So take anything this novice posts with a grain of salt, or a sip of homebrew.

My googling has turned up this old interview that gives some clues to the hop schedule:

"We changed the dry-hop to 100% El Dorado and achieved the magnificent lemon candy and spicy hop flavors that are fun and unique.” The brand new hop variety, “Lemondrop” … was also included in the earlier stages of the brew process, further emphasizing the lemon character and adding citrusy brightness. Minor additions of Calypso and Nugget hops were also used to flesh out what is an absolutely startling heft for a basic IPA.

https://thepourfool.com/2015/01/02/stone-delicious-ipa-shoot-for-the-moon-and-land-among-the-stars/

Anyway, I’m playing around with hop schedule in Brewer’s Friend. Will report back with what I ultimately go with.

From anything I’ve ever heard from Mitch in regards to Stone’s beers they add Co2 extract at the start of the boil
and then add the rest of the hops in the WP. No hops during the boil. Obviously the gigantic system they brew on has complete different utilization so not sure how that would translate to a smaller scale.

From anything I’ve ever heard from Mitch in regards to Stone’s beers they add Co2 extract at the start of the boil
and then add the rest of the hops in the WP. No hops during the boil. Obviously the gigantic system they brew on has complete different utilization so not sure how that would translate to a smaller scale.

Thank you. That matches some of what I've been seeing him say in various interviews on youtube.

I've pulled some more clues on hop schedule from Stone's video. Mitch describes using El Dorado as the only hop used in dry hop. He also described using Lemondrop and Calypso as "late hop" – I'm guessing late in boil or in whirlpool.

Just documenting tid bits for now. Will report back what I end up going with.

Back