Help me design a Chocolate Orange Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I traveled down to Guangzhou for some consular business (Report of Birth Abroad and passport for my 3 month old son!). Naturally, I had to find a local brewpub, and I wound up in a place called Bravo. A mediocre IPA and a generous pour of KBS (which seems to be on tap in every beer bar in China these days) later, I tried some samples and decided on taking home a growler of their Rauchbier. A growler which was filled about 90% to the top and ended up losing a lot of carbonation to headspace and getting a bit of oxygenation along the way, transforming it from a rather nice beer into a mediocre, if not entirely unpleasant one. When I got home, my overcarbonated oatmeal porter came to the rescue: going 3:2 porter:rauchbier ended up alright - proper carbonation level, some nice, slightly chocolaty roast, a hint of smoke. Not bad. My wife had just cut a blood orange and challenged me to add orange to the concoction. I took the bait and squeezed a quarter into the glass, gave it a swirl, and drank.

It was surprisingly good! I wouldn't brew that beer, but the orange was actually a very nice touch in the roasty, smoky brew. It got me thinking, and now I want to brew a chocolate orange stout, in the vein of those dark chocolate oranges you can buy. It's been probably 20 years since I've had one (quite a feat for someone in his early 30's), but if I remember, the chocolate is a bitter dark chocolate and the orange filling is also bitter, more like an orange peel candy or marmalade than orange juice.

So that's what I want to make: a stout or porter with dark (say 75% cacao) chocolate and bitter candied orange flavors. I don't want an overpowering hoppy bitterness but rather that bitter orange and dark chocolate sort of bitterness, to go along with a thick, smooth body with mild carbonation.

I'm working without Beersmith at the moment, so here's a basic riff to get started:

Aim for OG ~ 1.080 (I can be convinced of anything though, I just feel a bit on the stronger end will stand up better to the flavors and have a better body)

46% Pils
15% Vienna (pils and vienna are my two base malts on hand)
15% Flaked Oats
8% C60
6% Roasted Barley
6% Chocolate Malt
4% Black Patent Malt

~30 IBUs whatever bittering hop @60 min.
20g Citra, 40g Pacifica, 30g dried orange peel @5 min.

Maybe S-04 yeast fermented ~16-17C?

Vodka tincture of cocoa nibs and orange zest for post-ferment. Maybe a dry hop with some more Citra and Pacifica?

Thoughts? How much cocoa nibs should I use? Other form of chocolate maybe? Lactose? Other ideas?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe something along the lines of southern tier chocolate orange?

For flavour hops I would use summit, Apollo or admiral because they are the most orangy ime.

I would also use flaked rye instead of oats because orange and rye is a good combo.

The best results for a chocolate flavour I have had is to cold steep pale chocolate malt and use a modest addition of cararoma/special b.

I would avoid lactose with orange.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe something along the lines of southern tier chocolate orange?

Presumably, though I haven't ever had any Southern Tier, much less that particular beer, so I couldn't say for sure. I know I'm not the first one to think of it, so hopefully I'll be able to get some qualified advice.

For flavour hops I would use summit, Apollo or admiral because they are the most orangy ime.

I would also use flaked rye instead of oats because orange and rye is a good combo.

The best results for a chocolate flavour I have had is to cold steep pale chocolate malt and use a modest addition of cararoma/special b.

I would avoid lactose with orange.

I haven't used or got any of those hops and I might be brewing this weekend (the alternative is probably to wait a month), but I've got 4 oz of Pacifica, which is said to give orange zest and marmalade characteristics which are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm also considering cutting out the Citra entirely and single-hopping it with all the Pacifica, maybe an ounce at 60 (supposed to be a very smooth bitterness), another couple ounces split between 15 and 5, and a final ounce dry hopped.

I'll definitely consider swapping for flaked rye. Gotta order it today if that's the case, since I have none on hand and can't get it locally.

Unfortunately, I have no pale chocolate and don't think it's generally available here in China. I'll consider cold steeping the chocolate malt and adding some Special W (Weyermann's equivalent to Special B) or swapping the C60 for CaraBohemian (which would basically split the difference between adding some Special W to the C60), though - any notes on how you do your cold steep?

No lactose with orange - why not? I'm not sure if I would do it because I'm looking more for bitter chocolate flavors than sweet chocolate flavors, but orange cream is a common flavor combination so I'd say milky sweetness goes very well with orange.

Single hopping sounds good.

For cold steep soak the roasted grains overnight in your brewing liquor. Then strain via a bag and spare with more cold liquor. Adjust mash and pre boil volumes appropriately. Add 10 mins from ko

if you're going to zest the orange yourself, avoid the white pith as much as you can. I tried an orange stout awhile back and the pith was overwhelmingly terrible and I don't believe i used too much. I would maybe even go as far as using orange extract or oil at bottling or secondary.

Back