Help me decide what to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasPaine

Reaction score
I have some funds to spend at my LHBS and I can't decide between a co2 tank and regulator ( I have a keg and keezer) or a chugger pump. It would help a ton if I had a pump for hot water and wort transfer instead of lifting all of that weight, especially when I do 10 gal batches. I am young and have a strong back so it can be done. I have also become very good and efficient at bottling. BUT! I would love to get a keg system going. I use two igloo coolers and a keggle. Hot liquor is being lifted over my head these days.

Tough choice. I got the tank and regulator (and keg) before I got the pump. I was only doing 5 gallon batches then, though.

I got my pump when I did a whole setup/process redesign. I redesigned my setup for ease and safety for doing ten gallon batches.

I would go for the pump. Lifting hot liquor over your head will result in accidental burns or an injured back at some time. Either one could end brewing for awhile. Then you would have no choice but to get the pump.

Another opinion here, get the pump. Safety first. All you need is wet hands as your lifting that pot for that handle to slip right out and you'll wind up in the burn ward.

Thanks for the replies. You may have been able to tell by the tone of the post that I was leaning towards the pump. I always brew 10 gals with a friend, so he helps me lift. But he will only brew IPAs and I'm getting sick of his ****. If I want to brew a blonde or a wit, I'm on my own. If I make 10 gals alone, that's a lot of bottling, but also not manageable alone using gravity (wife isn't strong enough). The final thought may be that I my greatest joy of home brewing comes from sharing, which is always easier with bottles, unless I'm hosting a kegger. I'm still torn. Safety isn't really a concern of mine. Going to my LHBS on Friday, so I will decide by then. Thanks again friends

If you want to avoid lifting hot, loaded kettles a pump can get you there - but so can a simple gravity feed brewstand. I brewed many 5 and 10 gallon batches with no pump and no heavy lifting, using gravity feed. I've since added a pump to recirculate my mash so now I can simplify the brewstand when time permits - but I wouldn't have added the pump just for liquid transfer.

I would guess I would need to buy extra burners to do that. I only have one burner and two coolers. Anyway my LHBS was sold out of pumps, so I bought a $49 5lb steel co2 tank and a $69 regulator. I'll be drinking out of my keg in a couple weeks. Thanks again

CO2 and regulator, and then a small tan solar(eBay) pump? You can enjoy kegging and those little pumps move liquid around nicely.

It's a lot easier to find a CO2 tank and reg when you need it on Craigslist, so I'd get a pump.

Back