Help me choose my hop schedule and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I have the following grain bill.

9.5lbs Golden Promise
1lb White Wheat
8oz Carapils
4oz Acid Malt
4oz C-60

OG: 1.047 given 65% eff.

Can decide on a hop schedule

1 have 8oz of Simcoe and 12oz of Centennial on hand.

I also have the following yeasts on hand to choose from:

US-05
S-33
Lalbrew Nottingham
Lalbrew East Coast (New England)
Lalbrew Voss Kveik

Water will be distilled with salts added

Let me know your thoughts

I feel like this could be a nice aromatic and flavorful Pale Ale, but just do a small bittering addition at 30 minutes, then save the rest for 5 min, whirlpool and dry hop. I'd do:

25-30 IBUs worth of hops at 30 minutes
1oz of hops at 5min (This amount if adjustable though I wouldn't exceed 40total IBUs for final beer)
1-2oz whirlpool at 160*F for 15 minutes
2-4oz Dry Hop charge while at cold crash temps for 3-4 days.

As for yeast, if you want it relatively clean, go with the US-05, but if you want a a little English ester character do the Nottingham.

This should be a nice hoppy aromatic and flavorful beer without the in your face bitterness of a really hoppy beer. It's also likely no so much hop at whirlpool and dry hop that it will come out hazy. If you adjust your water profile at all then I'd do a sulfate to chloride ratio of at least 2/1 for this brew. Just my two cents.

Hop schedule and yeast don't much matter. Tastes like APA or session IPA. Or if you go really light with the hopping, then it's an American blonde ale.

If you want to run some nice experiments, split the batch and try different dry hops or different yeasts, then find out what you think works best for you. I split most batches. Always learning something that way.

Cheers.

I’m with @Biggz1313, for the most part. I’d go closer to the 2oz of dry hop and I’d go Nottingham yeast. I think Nottingham is far superior to US-05. In my experience, it’s faster, cleaner and floccs better.

Last thing I’d suggest is pick your preferred hop character and favor that hop in a 2:1 ratio. If you want citrus and grapefruit, favor centennial. If you want pine/dank/citrus, favor Simcoe.

Otherwise, looks like the beginnings of a solid pale ale.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am thinking of going the hazy route with this one as I want to turn it around pretty quick. This is what I came up with.

All Simcoe

1oz @ 10 min
1oz @ 5 min
2oz whirlpool @ 170
2oz dry hop - high krausen
2oz dry hop - 3 day post fermentation

kveik yeast @ 95

Last edited:
Back