Help me celebrate my daughter :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So Keira is due to arrive on March 1st, and I want to brew a beer to celebrate the birth of my first daughter :mug: Some will be for me, some will be passed out among family and friends.

Problem is, I have no idea what to brew for the occasion. Here is what I do know:

1) I want it to be a spring type beer. She is a spring baby, so I want to brew a beer that encompass's that.

2) I want to brew it extract. My brewing time is severely limited for the next three months, and this is just the easiest method for me.

3) I want to brew up 5 gallons.

4) Please do not suggest this one, as it is one of my regulars and I want it to be different: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/3296/?p=2

5) I want to avoid IPA's or any other strong beer. Not everyone on this list is a huge beer drinker, I want something well rounded.

GO!

I would suggest a Mild Ale or a Brown Ale. If you have brewsmith or other brewing software you could convert this BIAB recipe:
Late Hopped American Pale Ale (BIAB):

8# Maris Otter
1# Munich 10L
8 oz CaraPils/Dextrine
8 oz Caramel 40L
1 oz Centennial @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade @ 10 min
1 oz Ahtanum @ 5 min
1 oz Chinook @ flame out
US-O5

Strike: 3.25 gal @ 165*F x 60 min
Batch Sparge: 3.5 gal @ 170 x 20 min

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.011
5.25% ABV

All who have tried it love it.
Congratulations,
Mack:mug:

Make also something very strong like barley wine or imperial stout.
Drink one bottle on her birthday every year and see how the beer grows with your daughter.

Keira means Dark in Gaelic, so maybe an easy drinking Guinness clone?

Or an Irish Red, or something?

can you lager?
What about a maibock? Wyeast has their helles bock yeast on the PC right now. That yeast rules

Kolsch? It's fairly light and generally acceptable - i'ts even fizzy and yellow if you overcarb it. Ought to be a good John Q. Citizen pleaser, and it seems Spring appropriate. Congratulations on having something even better than a batch of beer to look forward to.

For a spring beer to cellebrate a daughter why not a fruit beer like a Stawberry Blond ale. Congratulations on your soon to arrive daughter.

I welcomed my daughter to the world in June with an extract kolsch, crowd pleaser, but the results took a backseat to the new bundle of joy. Congrats .

A cream ale would be an easy one to whip up, and would be well-accepted with BMC's and those with broader tastes as well.

I have been pondering doing a honey heather flower ale for some time. I am a huge fan of the commercial ale called Fraoch. (Really hard to find by me.) While it is an untested recipe it would be simple enough to do extract.

6 lbs of extra light unhopped extract (If it was me I would do DME)
1 lbs of honey - local

steeping grains:
1 lbs of something like golden promise or MO
1 lbs of honey malt

4 oz heather tips (2 oz @ 30 min and 2oz @ 5 min) (You may need more heather I have not brewed with it.)
Irish moss

Warrior hops to bitter to about 20-25 IBU

Yeast: Scottish ale or Irish ale

While mine is not a clone of Fraoch (AHS has one) I believe it would be a nice springtime ale that would appropriate for the celebration of the birth of a daughter.

Grats BTW. :mug:

man thats a lot of good ideas.

I REALLY like the Barlywine idea, I'm doing that for sure. I'm thinking a fruit beer is the way to go.

man thats a lot of good ideas.

I REALLY like the Barlywine idea, I'm doing that for sure. I'm thinking a fruit beer is the way to go.

Pardon me, what was point n.5? Wasn't it "I want to avoid IPA's or any other strong beer"? And now you go with a barley wine?? :D
By the way, a barleywine will take it's time to ferment and to age. To me, 3 months aren't enough.

Cheers! :mug:
Piteko

Pardon me, what was point n.5? Wasn't it "I want to avoid IPA's or any other strong beer"? And now you go with a barley wine?? :D
By the way, a barleywine will take it's time to ferment and to age. To me, 3 months aren't enough.

Cheers! :mug:
Piteko

If you read, the Barlywine idea is an extension of this thread for a long term, personal reason not for passing out to celebrate the birth.

How about a nice American Wheat - you could do 5 gallons and split the batch - 2.5 gal as is and 2.5 gal with 2-3 lbs of your favorite fruit puree (raspberry or strawberry would work well).

Looks like northern brewer has an extract kit that would fit the bill too.

Congrats on the daughter - From the father of another Keira !

How about a nice American Wheat - you could do 5 gallons and split the batch - 2.5 gal as is and 2.5 gal with 2-3 lbs of your favorite fruit puree (raspberry or strawberry would work well).

Looks like northern brewer has an extract kit that would fit the bill too.

Congrats on the daughter - From the father of another Keira !

did you get the idea from Keira Knightly too? haha

That's a great idea, I like the idea of the kit because it will be so much easier.

Last summer I had vertical tasting of 9 different vintages of Chimay Grande Reserve.
Oldest was 11 years old and it tasted like moldy cellar, not good at all.
10 years old was the best beer I've ever had.

I have seen a recipe for a kiwi wit floating around on here. I'm not sure if its an extract or AG though. If you do try something like that let me know how it turns out, it may be something I can do for SWMBO.
A congrats is definately in order. My daughter had me wrapped around her little finger in about 2 minutes after birth!
Cheers!

nukinfuts29 said:
did you get the idea from Keira Knightly too? haha

That's a great idea, I like the idea of the kit because it will be so much easier.

I think it was a mix of Keira Knightly and character Kyra on the Reba TV show - my wife liked Ms. Knightly's spelling.

Back