HELP! Kegerator Conundrum!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastendershomebrew

Reaction score
I have an awsome, black four tap Kegerator that I built from a used bottom freezer fridge. Here is my problem. I live in CT. Here, if you don't already know, we have fairly cold winters. Lately it has been in the teens to 20's at night. My awsome kegerator is in my single car detatched garage. As a result my kegerator can't seem to regulate it's temp, since I want it to be warmer than the ambient temperature. FYI I would like to keep it at like 40-45 degrees F.

So i have considered the options and I may be able to put the kegerator in my basement(which is a balmy 62) but I am not sure I want all of the disassembly and reassembly required for this option. Also I am not sure if the fridge can still function, or if the cold air maybe ruined it.

Any sugestions or comments are greatly appreciated....

Cheers
East Enders Home Brew

If you want to leave it where it is, a dual stage temp controller and a heat source (light bulb, small space heater, etc) will solve your problem. The e-bay aquarium temp controller is one of the cheapest options, but requires a little wiring. It's doubtful that the freezing temps damaged the fridge.

Sometimes things do freeze but I now have a two tap keggerator and a dorm fridge in the basement bar for kegs/bottles.

The garage fridge is for backup when the pipeline is empty....I don't have a problem 'cause I like my (gasp) SilverBullets like ice (its the only way I can force 'em down). :cross:

I'd do what the other posters suggested...a light bulb (don't kid yourself, they will heat the space in a jiffy), small heat pad, etc. on a second temptroller.

Good luck!

Use a temperature controller with a heat source of some kind. I use a small ceramic element space heater with an analog Johnson temp controller controller. I've found that generally I either need to heat or cool and there will usually be a stretch in the spring and fall where neither is required.

I'm in MN and I was forced to simply turn my kegerator 'off' as the temps colder. Even with the fridge totally off, temps are about 38degF. It's been fine so far, even during cold swings. I'm in a tuckunder garage uninsulated.

I the ebay temp controller just make sure you get the heating and cooling unit.

-=Jason=-

so am I understanding this correctly? put the heat element in my fridgE?

Yes. The heat source could be a light bulb, heat tape (as used on pipes), small space heater, ceramic reptile heater, heating pad (also a reptile thingy). Some have even used hair dryers, but I would be concerned about a hair dryer possibly overheating or otherwise malfunctioning and possibly causing a fire. I've also used a submersible aquarium heater in a container of water. You can often use an aquarium heater without the need for a separate controller. Heating an insulated container usually doesn't require a lot of wattage, but much depends on just how cold the ambient temps are.

Back