Help Interpreting This Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speakers

Reaction score
1 ounce Chinook Hops -boiling 60
1 ounce Centennial Hops- finishing 10
1 ounce Centennial Hops- finishing 2
1 ounce Columbus Hops - finishing whirlpool

Does that mean that at the 50 minute boiling mark I add the Centennial hops so the total boil time is 60 minutes? Or do I boil 60 minutes and then add the other two for a total boiling time of 72 minutes?

Also, what does "finishing whirlpool" mean exactly? I assume it is after I take it off the heat, but how long should it sit for?

Forgive the ignorance, this is the first time I have come across this though.

Thanks in advance.

The total time is 60 minutes. I don't know exactly what the whirlpool addition pertains to although after the wort is cool you can whirpool so the trub collects in the center of the boil kettle. Are you doing a full boil?

Each of those time should mean amount of boiling time left to go. The first hop addition would be added with 60 minutes left to boil, and the next when there's 10 minutes left, and the next with 2 minutes left. The final one would be after you turn off the heat, be it flame from a burner, or a stovetop.

Read this link to find out what Whirlpooling is.

Blender said:
The total time is 60 minutes. I don't know exactly what the whirlpool addition pertains to although after the wort is cool you can whirpool so the trub collects in the center of the boil kettle. Are you doing a full boil?

Ok, thanks.

It is a partial boil, would it make a difference?

I think it might for a partial boil. I would probably use the whirpool addition for dry hopping or just save them for another brew.

ma2brew said:
Each of those time should mean amount of boiling time left to go. The first hop addition would be added with 60 minutes left to boil, and the next when there's 10 minutes left, and the next with 2 minutes left. The final one would be after you turn off the heat, be it flame from a burner, or a stovetop.

Read this link to find out what Whirlpooling is.

'Zatcly...

It's a countdown from 60 minutes and those times are when the hops are added

1 ounce Chinook Hops -boiling 60 - At the beginning of the boil (start)
1 ounce Centennial Hops- finishing 10 - Added w/ 10 minutes left (50 minutes later)
1 ounce Centennial Hops- finishing 2 - Added w/ 2 minutes left in the boil (58 minutes later)
1 ounce Columbus Hops - finishing whirlpool - Added at flameout (60m from start, when you kill the heat to the kettle)

If you are doing a partial boil and the recipe is for a full boil, then you will have a hop utilization difference due to the gravity of the wort. If you need more info, you might want to post a brief description of the orig recipe and how you plan to brew it.

Back