Help idk if this is an infection in my mead or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlschenk

Reaction score
75063DD3-CCA9-470F-A633-6DEAC0A9A1FB.jpeg

The dark one is a mead I followed the instructions from in a cook book after racking twice these floaters still remain and I’m not sure if it’s ok.
As for the one with the mustard top I was using bleach as sanitization(since learned this is not the best choice and have gotten starsan) well a little dripped in and the mead was still too hot when I originally added my yeast. I was told to just add more and rack out the yeast later I used rose hips and blueberries in this one to flavor the mead. Everything seemed to pick up fine bubbles ect. Then got up in the morning and this mustard top was there. Remove the plug to smell and it’s a bit tart almost though if it were the blueberries fault but I’m not entirely sure. Is this still okay or do I need to dump it.

Attachments

• C32506DD-81D8-4DE8-8E91-80735DB14C6E.jpeg
    C32506DD-81D8-4DE8-8E91-80735DB14C6E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
The top picture doesn't look good, the bottom picture just looks like the yeast is either top fermenting or has just collected there. Do you know about aeration and degassing, looks to me like that hasn't happened for a bit. Just swirl or stir it to degas and mix everything back into solution.

The top picture doesn't look good, the bottom picture just looks like the yeast is either top fermenting or has just collected there. Do you know about aeration and degassing, looks to me like that hasn't happened for a bit. Just swirl or stir it to degas and mix everything back into solution.
Ty I’ll give that a try as for the top picture it was a bunch of sediment that was sitting at the bottom of the Carboy when I racked it first and we’ll i wasn’t able to get it all separated out, ended up transferring some over did a second racking a couple days later to get more of the sediment and we’ll this is what was left after the second racking. I’ve tasted it after the first racking and second and it doesn’t taste bad at all or smell bad, not sure if this is just more of the sediment and is totally okay to rack out and keep going or is it best to dump it?

The dark one is a mead I followed the instructions from in a cook book after racking twice these floaters still remain and I’m not sure if it’s ok.
It does not look infected to me, if it were it would likely be hazy with some sort of pellicle on top.

What are the ingredients in the recipe? Was it raw and unfiltered honey perhaps?
Did you add other things aside from honey, water, nutrients, and yeast?

The mead itself looks fine and beautiful, it's very clear, just has a lot of fluffy solids suspended.
If it's done fermenting, you could try cold crashing it for a week or longer in a (cold) fridge until most or all solids have precipitated. Then rack the clear mead off the top into a secondary for further clearing and sedimentation, or directly to bottles, leaving the sediment behind.

Start racking from the middle, between the trub and surface and slowly lower the cane as the level drops. Use a flow inverter tippy on the bottom of the cane, while toward the end of the transfer, slowly tilting the vessel to keep the siphoning well as deep as possible. An extra set of hands may come in handy. ;)

Train with a bucket of water until you're comfortable with the racking/transfer process.

It does not look infected to me, if it were it would likely be hazy with some sort of pellicle on top.

What are the ingredients in the recipe? Was it raw and unfiltered honey perhaps?
Did you add other things aside from honey, water, nutrients, and yeast?

The mead itself looks fine and beautiful, it's very clear, just has a lot of fluffy solids suspended.
If it's done fermenting, you could try cold crashing it for a week or longer in a (cold) fridge until most or all solids have precipitated. Then rack the clear mead off the top into a secondary for further clearing and sedimentation, or directly to bottles, leaving the sediment behind.

Start racking from the middle, between the trub and surface and slowly lower the cane as the level drops. Use a flow inverter tippy on the bottom of the cane, while toward the end of the transfer, slowly tilting the vessel to keep the siphoning well as deep as possible. An extra set of hands may come in handy. ;)

Train with a bucket of water until you're comfortable with the racking/transfer process.
Thank you very much I really appreciate the responses

Oh as for the ingredients it was 3lb of honey filtered water rose hips ground cloves blackberries cinnamon sticks and a dash of salt all per the cookbook I used Nottingham’s brewer yeast

Back