Help identifying 2 hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdupe21

Reaction score
So last year I ordered a single centennial rhizome to grow for fun from a local homebrew store. Somehow my order got overlooked and it was not sent. After emailing the store they apologized and sent it out; I actually received two rhizomes, I'm guessing the extra one for the inconvenience. So I planted them thinking they would be the same strain but both the non-producing plants in the first year and the flourishing plants this year appear rather different, making me think that they are actually different strains.

I know it is hard to tell from leaves alone, but I know one of them is centennial. I have recipes planned for later in the year using centennial so if anyone can help me just try to identify which one of the two is more likely centennial it would be much appreciated. In doing some brief research online, it seems to be the consensus that the picture with the 5 pointed leaves, almost mary jane looking, are more likely to be the centennial. Also this small store only sold a few different varieties so if it helps to narrow down the second plant a few of them were Mt. Hood, Chinook, Willamette, Columbus, and possibly cascade.

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

The top picture looks just like my centennial. The bottom looks more like the cascade I have seen. I only have centennial, willamette and neo growing so I can't comment on the bottom picture with any accuracy.

The picture show different shades of green. Is that how they look in real life?

The top picture looks just like my centennial. The bottom looks more like the cascade I have seen. I only have centennial, willamette and neo growing so I can't comment on the bottom picture with any accuracy.

The picture show different shades of green. Is that how they look in real life?

Thank you for your input I appreciate it!

I took the two photos with the same camera within a minute of each other but it seems that the auto-focus and angle the pictures were taken may have affected the color. Now looking at the background it seems every aspect of the pictures are in different shades. I'll check them again this morning before I leave for work but I don't remember a noticeable color difference.

Back