Help identify pest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
Some of my leaves are getting holes in them and in wondering what it's from.
I looked at the underside of them and found some black specks that may be bugs, they're just too small to get a good look at.
Any idea what they are?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431045753.026430.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431045766.944460.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431045781.161916.jpg

Then I found this ****er on another hop plant about 15' away, he got what was coming to him...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431045884.679922.jpg

I hope it was slow and painful for him, I have no tolerance for hops destroying pests!

I'm sorry I can't tell by the picture but that might be black mold spots, sometimes they can have a "raised" feel to them. A very light dose of Captan can help with fungal problems. For insects, I recommend pyrethrin, or if you prefer it's synthetic brother, permethrin. Spring time is the time to see fungal problems with plants but those holes certainly would point to some type of insect.

That looks like the hop looper, but I'm not an entomologist. Bring it to your local extension service of possible.

Get some Bacillus thuringiensis. You might find it sold as "BT." Some places consider it organic since you're delivering beneficial bacteria that pretty much eat the Caterpillar and not really a chemical to kill the worms. Works wonders on my tomato plants.

Check page 42 of this hop handbook for more information on diagnosis and management - If that is Hop Looper causing all that damage it would be good to take care of it.
For something that size, on a home garden scale i'd look at picking it them off each night once the sun goes down, and doing a search for eggs during the day, as the first step before considering pesticide methods (although i'd jump on a biological control as suggested by cannman if there is a significant infestation).

It's definitely not a hop looper, I think it's a cut worm.
I also found this worm looking thing who made a cocoon out of one of the leaves, not sure what it is.
View attachment 277578

If I didn't know any better I would say it's a tomato/tobacco horn worm. They are pretty destructive, but I am not sure if they attack hop plants, as they are somewhat selective about what type of plant they like. As mentioned above, the BT may help wit them if you won't want to take the other routes I suggested.

I'll definitely check out BT and captan, I've never heard of them before.
Thanks!

Back