Help? I made a grains mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRats

Reaction score
So, I just went to the local home brew store to buy some grains and extract for a partial mash recipe. I only needed 5 ounces of Crystal 80L, but in an attempt to make it easier, I just decided to ask for a pound. I figured I could use the rest for something else. I wasn't paying attention and he milled it in with the rest of my grains.. 2lbs 2-Row American and 1lb Victory. I didn't even realize it was all mixed together until I got home. I don't want all of that Crystal 80L in there.. the beer will be way too dark. But I don't think there's anything else I can do? Any ideas?

well, it will make a diff beer.. so if you are set on that color, flavor, etc-- throw it out (or save for 2nd beer) & re-buy the grains.

Double up the rest of the ingredients, blend everything and have enough materials for two batches?

As others have said double up the recipe/buy more grains, etc.

However I'd suggest just using it as is (assuming you're not making something with $25 of hops & other expensive ingredients). I'd make sure to mash at 147-148 which would make the wort more fermentable helping to balance out having too much crystal.

Good luck!

I'd make sure to mash at 147-148 which would make the wort more fermentable helping to balance out having too much crystal.
Good luck!

^Good advice. Just role with it. Or up it to two batches. Those seem to be your only options.

Have you brewed this before? If it is a first time doubling would be a $$$ risk. I would enter the grain you have into beersmith and tweak it to make something I wanted.

Just for reference, 5 gallons of Sierra Nevada PA uses 1 lb of C60. Not too much different from C80.

Use it as is and tailor the recipe around it. I think I would just make a Pale Ale.

As previously noted, mash low.

Back