Help Hydromidor reading!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjazx7r

Reaction score
So did my first hydrometer reading tonight and as per instructions I should be complete my fermentation stage 15 days.
Its the wheat beer made by Festa brew
When i take a reading it sits just below the 1.000 mark
at 22 degrees C

way im reading it, looks like i only got maybe .25 % alcohol ?
is this right ?

What was your original gravity reading? You have to take the difference between the original gravity and the final gravity reading to get your abv.

well i didn't take OG as I didn't know about that at first
but as per instructions it sais
OG: 1.0460 – 1.0468, FG: 1.0120 – 1.0128

wich to be honest the way the hydrometer sits in the test tube i be hard pressed to see any . 03 difference.

what stuns me most is at that level , the alcohol content seems very low.

Can't be 1.00. That's water.

Post your whole process and grainbill.

Taste it. Sour? Then infected, which is the only way I can imagine the gravity getting that low.

Grainbill ?
I'm not sure it a Festa Brew kit ( pre made wart )
all we do is add the yeast.

reading they hydrometer it looks like 1.07 roughly
does taste a bit sour !
but, there is no mold and looks like beer .

Those numbers are close to what the FG it sais it should be.
but according to the hydrometer that only be like . 25% alcohol

are you sure it isn't sitting just below 1.010? that would be 1.011-1.012 which would be about right.
could you post a pic of your hydrometer floating in the test jar?
either way...with a kit like that, as long as your final volume is correct, the projected numbers will be correct.
so, if it was a 5 gallon kit & you topped off to 5 gallons, your og would have been right around 1.046 & your fg is...well, whatever it is.

are you sure it isn't sitting just below 1.010? that would be 1.011-1.012 which would be about right.
could you post a pic of your hydrometer floating in the test jar?
either way...with a kit like that, as long as your final volume is correct, the projected numbers will be correct.
so, if it was a 5 gallon kit & you topped off to 5 gallons, your og would have been right around 1.046 & your fg is...well, whatever it is.

My FG seems about right as per manufacturer. Also just tested my Continental Pilsner and sitting around 1.04
which seems about right also
but when i spin the Hydrometer around and read the approximate % alcohol
it shows at that FG level it be only about .25 %

your abv is calculated using the difference between og & fg.
that number on your hydrometer represents potential alcohol of a solution with that specific gravity (original gravity)

your og was (or should have been) about 1.046 & I still don't know what your fg is.
I don't believe 1.000 or 1.07

your abv is calculated using the difference between og & fg.
that number on your hydrometer represents potential alcohol of a solution with that specific gravity (original gravity)

thanks for the help.but still confused
so lets say
OG: 1.0460 , FG: 1.0120
those numbers are very close.
so how find the alcohol content ?

The alcohol percent markings on the hydrometer represent potential alcohol, ignore those. If your original gravity was about 1.046 and your final gravity is 1.007 then it has about 5% alcohol by volume. Are those your readings?

The alcohol percent markings on the hydrometer represent potential alcohol, ignore those. If your original gravity was about 1.046 and your final gravity is 1.007 then it has about 5% alcohol by volume. Are those your readings?

roughly yes. \Thanks you guys for the help much apreciated

Back