Help, Hops stay in or out??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butch

Reaction score
Just brewed a True Brew Pils that called for adding the whole leaf hops at the last minute of the boil. Do these stay in for fermentation or get removed? The Malt extract is un hopped. THANKS!

I'm new to this and may not be qualified to answer, but you're obviously in a hurry. And since no one has posted yet, I'll chime in with: You'll be fine either way. I've done it both ways with pellet hops.

If you add hops at flame out and leave them in, is that sort of like aroma hopping and dry hopping combined in one?

I removed, but now I read somewhere you should kill the heat and steep for 10 mins with the lid on. That would have been nice for TB to put in their INSTRUCTIONS! Oh well, this is only my 3rd batch. but I realize now it's an aroma hopping. I would probably be pretty nasty since there are already 1oz pellets for bittering that will be staying in. Thanks for the quick help.

butch said:
I removed, but now I read somewhere you should kill the heat and steep for 10 mins with the lid on. That would have been nice for TB to put in their INSTRUCTIONS! Oh well, this is only my 3rd batch. but I realize now it's an aroma hopping. I would probably be pretty nasty since there are already 1oz pellets for bittering that will be staying in. Thanks for the quick help.

NEVER EVER leave the lid on....it can cause nasty DMS :(

kenb said:
NEVER EVER leave the lid on....it can cause nasty DMS :(
I always put the lid on at the end of the boil when the flame is off. I start cooling right away. No problems seemed to have surfaced.

Adding hops for the last two min, or whatever the recipe calls for- gives the beer the aroma of the hops, without the bitterness that you can get by adding hops earlier in the boil. It only takes those few moments and then you can remove them- but- as posted- leaving them is not really harmfull, thought I always remove them.
Hops can be added to the primary or secondary- and thats "Dry hopping" which I have only done once. Still waiting to taste the results!

Blender said:
I always put the lid on at the end of the boil when the flame is off. I start cooling right away. No problems seemed to have surfaced.

That is not the same though as not cooling right away. His instructions said to steep for 10 minutes.....and then cool. That is likely to cause at least SOME DMS....i wouldn't risk it....as for the lid..i usually put it on after about 10 minutes of cooling, as that is when infection is most likely to occur..once the beer reaches about 140f. And the risk of DMS is gone. That way you get the best of both worlds. Keep the buggies and the DMS out.

One of most common off-flavors in home brewed beer is DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide). DMS is created when wort is hot. During the boil it escapes in vapor form. This is why it's important to always boil with the lid off!

After you stop boiling, DMS is still being produced, but it can't escape as vapor. If your wort sits hot for a long time, it builds up DMS. Keep the lid off until the temps are down to 140f.

:mug:

what flavor does dms contribute to beer? I used my immersion chiller for the first time two night ago and kept the lid layed over the pot while it cooled.

I dont know how to post a link (I should find out) I did not even know what DMS was, so I searched it. This is what I found (At least I can cut and paste).

Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) is an organic sulfur compound present above its flavor threshold in most beers. Because of its low flavor threshold, 10 - 150 ppb, it is a primary flavor and aroma compound that makes a significant contribution to beer character, especially in lager beers. It has a characteristic taste and aroma of cooked corn or creamed corn.

The level of SMM in malt is responsible for the DMS level in wort. During mashing the SMM, DMS and very soluble DMSO are brought into solution. No SMM is hydrolized to DMS at this time.
DMS is created whenever wort is heated, by the breakdown of precursors found in pale malts. Under ordinary circumstances, most of the DMS that is created by heat is then evaporated during the boil. Some DMS is also removed during vigorous ale fermentations, which is why higher levels are often found in lagers.

Covered boil
Covering the brew kettle during the boil prevents DMS from evaporating, and results in high levels of DMS in the finished beer.
Slow cooling
Because DMS is created at temperatures below boiling, cooling the wort too slowly means that excessive levels of DMS can be created which cannot be evaporated once the boil has stopped.

cuinrearview said:
what flavor does dms contribute to beer? I used my immersion chiller for the first time two night ago and kept the lid layed over the pot while it cooled.

You likely will be ok if you cooled it down quickly....but dms tastes like rotten vegetables..cabbage....

Back