Help, homebrew, all grain stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmsteve

Reaction score
My stout kinda smells like Hair Dye, is this bad for me to be drinking? What is the cause, and how do I remedy this in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With so many experts here someone should be able to help me out......

Does it taste like crap too? We will need all of the information you can give. Sounds like infection though. Could be sanitation practices. Could also be chlorinated water as well though.

Sent from Under MORE FREAKIN SNOW.

It doesn't taste like total crap, just smells like hair dye. All grain recipe, BIAB mash in a igloo cooler @ 156 deg, used tap water, sparged with 168 degree h2o, boiled 1 hr, chilled I'm ice bath to 68 degrees at 1 hr, pitched yeast at 68 degrees and added yeast nutrient, set in plastic brewers best primary in 65 degree basement away from any light for 1 week, racked off lees into secondary plastic better bottle and kept for 2 more weeks, carbonated with priming sugar In another plastic ferment bucket and bottled. Used star San to sanitize all equipment and used my dish washer to sanitize bottles. Kept in light free cabinet in basement for 3 weeks to carb.... No carb issues.

For real though. Just get rid of it and try to control your temps as well as you can. I have been loving my Cool Brewing fermentation bags. Ambient temp is ok if you don't mind fermenting in the 70's. If you can, buy a aquarium thermometer and attach it to the side of the bucket in between a towel or something. It will read the wort temp a bit better. It does sound like fusels. It would taste that way too though...

If you have further problems after this batch, post again and we will figure it out.

Back