Help for first GF beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
I've been making dang good beer for around three years now. I have my system down and have pretty good basic recipe that I can tinker with to make different brews.

Alas I am trying to keep free from the gluten grains. I've pretty much switched over to ciders since they are so much easer to make but I want to have a beer once in a while so I am in need of a good basic recipe.
My basic "typical" beer recipe calls for LME plus a base malt, some crystals usally 20L and/or 60L and maybe a biscuit/carapils or flaked oats to be mashed.

After looking at many recipes and reading on what the different malts GF grains can be used for I am thinking of something that looks like this:

7 gallon batch:

8 lbs sorghum syrup
1 lb toasted oats
1 lb malted and toasted brown rice
(thinking of making my own, though I see that I can buy it here: norcalbrewingsolutions.com

I am trying to get the basic back bone of an moderatly hopped Pale Ale Or even an IPA.

Any thoughts/comments? Would I be better served using malted millet or buckwheat?

Millet will taste superior to sorghum but, it would require much more equipment.

I recommend going 50/50 sorghum and brown rice syrup. Then steep the oats and rice. I would use the biscuit rice malt from norcal. Grouse makes a great vienna millet malt now. Works great in my IPAs.

I will be using vienna millet, biscuit rice, and light crystal millet for my specialty grains in my next IPA.

Sorry. Steep before the LME is what I meant but, you already know that if you have been doing it for a while.

Also, I suppose you could do BIAB with millet. Some on here do it with great success.

I've noticed that a lot of recipes call for a 50/50 split of sorghum and rice syrup. What's the deal with that, is the sorghum that strong tasting?

Correct and correct. Rice syrup helps reduce the metallic twang but, isn't as malty.

Back