Help finding a turkey fryer with pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting very tired of doing my partial boils on my electric stove (and hearing my wife complain about how the house smells :p ). I have trouble even getting 3 gallons to boil. I'm actually wondering how much of an affect this is having on my beer since my wort temp, according to my digital thermometer with a probe, reads 210-211 (not 212?). With that said, I'm looking to get a nice propane burner and a bigger pot to really improve my beer. My current SS pot is 20 quarts, so I want to get something that will allow me to do full boils. I am doing extract with grains right now, but I'd like to move to PM if I get this new equipment. I know on Amazon they have the Bayou burner with a 30 qt aluminum pot for about $130. Any other places you might have had good luck finding such equipment?
Any help would be great. Cheers!

Check out Home Depot, I've seen 30 qt propane turkey fryers in the $50-$65 range. The pots are thinner than is ideal, but you just got to be careful to not add your extract while the pot is over the flame to avoid scorching. Otherwise I hear these work just great!

I've also noticed that HD's site offers some products they don't carry in store, and they often ship for cheap/free.

Cheers.

If you can wait a few months.... Lowe's Depot usually has them on sale/clearance after thanksgiving. One thing to look out for is the auto shut off on the burner. I got my turkey fryer pre-auto-shutoff so I am not sure if they make them without the auto shutoff anymore.

Thanks for the help. I have my eye on the Bayou Classic SP10 on Amazon for $48, and they also sell it at Home Depot. Looks like I'll be getting that one. I'm sure it's more than sufficient to do a full boil. Now, I just need to find a bigger pot, preferably stainless steel.

huge1s,

The auto-shutoff that you're referring to, is that the timer that I'm reading about on some burners? Apparently some burners these days come with an automatic 15 minute timer.

Thanks for the help. I have my eye on the Bayou Classic SP10 on Amazon for $48, and they also sell it at Home Depot. Looks like I'll be getting that one. I'm sure it's more than sufficient to do a full boil. Now, I just need to find a bigger pot, preferably stainless steel.

huge1s,

The auto-shutoff that you're referring to, is that the timer that I'm reading about on some burners? Apparently some burners these days come with an automatic 15 minute timer.

yeah... I was referring to the 15 minute timer. I have not shopped turkey fryer setups in a while, but it is my understanding that most have this "feature". You should be able to find some mods in the interwebz to bypass the timer. For $13 more, you can get the Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit on Amazon that comes with a 30 quart kettle. I have a 30 quart kettle and it does just fine for 5 gallon batches. Even if you don't like the kettle, you would have an extra if you decide to get a bigger/better one. I just switched to AG (after one extract batch) and wished I had an extra kettle so that I didn't have to put my first runnings into my fermentation bucket while I boiled my sparge water.

I did my first full boil using my 30 qt pot, and I had to really watch for boilovers. You may want to consider a larger pot as long as you're in the upgrading mode.:mug:

huge1s said:
yeah... I was referring to the 15 minute timer. I have not shopped turkey fryer setups in a while, but it is my understanding that most have this "feature". You should be able to find some mods in the interwebz to bypass the timer. For $13 more, you can get the Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit on Amazon that comes with a 30 quart kettle. I have a 30 quart kettle and it does just fine for 5 gallon batches. Even if you don't like the kettle, you would have an extra if you decide to get a bigger/better one. I just switched to AG (after one extract batch) and wished I had an extra kettle so that I didn't have to put my first runnings into my fermentation bucket while I boiled my sparge water.

That's a good point. I was hoping to get a nice SS pot, but I guess I could get an aluminum pot, and for that price, it's a good deal. I just have to make sure I prepare my aluminum pot first before using it?

I have the Bayou Classic 1044 stainless steel pot, and it works perfectly. It's 44 quarts, which may seem like overkill, but I like it because I don't have to worry about boil-overs as much as I used to with my smaller kettle. You can get one on Overstock for $86 dollars shipped. Not sure how much you want to spend though...

I also have the burner you were talking about getting (Bayou Classic SP10). It is great for homebrewing. Gets the wort boiling pretty darn quickly, and is also pretty well-built. Some of the paint will burn off the first time you use it, but that's normal. As long as you don't really care about appearance, I highly suggest that burner.

Let me know if you have any questions...

I have the aluminum pot. It's pretty thin. It has a slight dent in it already. I haven't had a problem with it being thin tho. In fact they are easier to cool via the bath method. I might even just upgrade to a 10 gallon aluminum next. I have heard about the shutoff. I have a brinkmann. It has never shut off on me, so I haven't tried to mod it. Been pretty happy with that 60 bucks spent. Sure both items will need to be upgraded eventually but I have done 5 batches with it so far. If I had to save up the money I might still be doing partials. Also, these things can still be used after you upgrade. Another pot for collecting wort or whatever. Watch the BTU tho. Mine is 45,000. I wouldn't want anything less than that, let's put it that way.

Hi everyone,
I'm actually wondering how much of an affect this is having on my beer since my wort temp, according to my digital thermometer with a probe, reads 210-211 (not 212?).

Water boils at 212 at sea level. Boil temp is affected by the atmospheric pressure. Out in Colorado their water may boil at 208-209.

http://www.menards.com/main/more/special-buy/gas-turkey-fryer-30-quart/p-1624774-c-9531.htm

I just bought this also couple weeks ago, have only brewed on it once, but the boil was awesome, does have a 20 min timer on it, but you can either turn it every now and then or just tape the knobs in place.

I did have to top off with about a gallon though so you may want to consider that

my pbw container fits neatly under the straight part of the timer knob. problem solved.

I'm sure you are in a hurry for a burner but if you have time or know someone who garage sales, this is where I have found both of my burners. About a year ago my gf's dad found me a 65,000 btu burner with an unopened turkey pot for $5. This week he found me a beautiful King Kooker jet burner with another pot for $3.
As for a pot, Sam's Club was selling 60 qt. aluminum last xmas for under $50.

After thanksgiving they are real cheap sometimes. Menards always seems to have a pretty good deal on them. Once walmart had them for $15.00. I was going to buy them all and resell on ebay, but the shipping wouldn't have worked. It was a great deal at that price!

The only thing to be aware of with an aluminum turkey pot is that they are very thin and conductive, and if you are an extract brewer you need to take extra care to stir your extract in well or it will definitely scorch.

The only thing to be aware of with an aluminum turkey pot is that they are very thin and conductive, and if you are an extract brewer you need to take extra care to stir your extract in well or it will definitely scorch.

SOME are very thin...mine is not It's not stainless steel but it is a pretty thick gauge aluminum.

I'm sure you are in a hurry for a burner but if you have time or know someone who garage sales, this is where I have found both of my burners. About a year ago my gf's dad found me a 65,000 btu burner with an unopened turkey pot for $5. This week he found me a beautiful King Kooker jet burner with another pot for $3.
As for a pot, Sam's Club was selling 60 qt. aluminum last xmas for under $50.

Wow, you sure have some good garage sales near you. That's a nice score.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have some places to look now. If I don't think I need either the burner or the pot right away, I might wait until Thanksgiving. We'll see. Thanks again!

Back