Help diagnosing a foamy tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I just got my two tap kegerator set up and one of the taps dispenses a huge glass of foam. I thought I had messed up the carbonation on the one beer but eventually switched the beers/taps as a test and realized the problem probably has to do with the lines or faucet.

I don't really know what information is useful to diagnose this but here's what I'm working with:

-5lb CO2 tank with dual gauge regulator, with a splitter in the line to connect to two kegs
-fridge is about 40* and the PSI is about 11
-two tap tower with perlick faucets
-all the QDs are flares
-I can't find any kinks in the line
-every connection seems to be tight enough

The beer is dispensing like I only half opened the tap, spraying out a thick and creamy layer of foam, yet it feels like I'm able to open it as much as the "good" tap.

Any ideas on what I should check?

How long are the lines and what OD are they? 11 seems like it might be a little high if the kegs are already fully carbed IMO,you might try venting the one that is foaming to"equalize the co2 between both kegs...just some quick thoughts,but im no pro!

Lengths and sizes of both beer lines?

Are you saying that one line flows fine and the other doesn't, even when used on the same keg? If so, what is different between the two lines... something must be......

Oh right, forgot to say the lines for both taps are about 5.5' and 3/8" OD.

To clarify, I have Beer 1 hooked to Tap 1 and it flows fine. Beer 2 on Tap 2 is foamy. When I hook Beer 1 to Tap 2, it is foamy as well.

foam is caused by too high or too low a serving pressure. If the keg is carbed to 2.5 volumes you need to find out what the pressure is in side the keg and then add a 1-3 Pounds above that level. Find the temp/co2 chart and find out what 2.5 at that level is and add 2 lbs. Were talking 15 to 22 probably.

Back