Help change black ipa grain bill into different style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemattb

Reaction score
I was in my closet and found a bag of grain from 2 years ago when I was planning to make a black iPa. I've got over that style to where I don't want 5 gallons of it. I just upgraded to a new herms system and figure I would test it using these grains. Buddy likes stouts, porters and Belgians(would be my preference if possible). Or maybe there's an obvious other change I'm not aware of. With really no idea of those beers i wanted to reach out to the community for guidance!

10lb 2 row
1lb crystal 90
8oz Munich
8oz Carafa 1

I can add other grains if needed, however these grains are mixed already. I can make anywhere from 5-8 gallons , too! Please chime in with any suggestions!!

I figured that'd be the most likely change. What about a Belgian dark ale? Am I too far gone with the Carafa?

could work...use some sugar to dry it out and your favorite Belgian yeast.

Yeah I would cut the crystal to 0.5 lb (or better yet use special B since its traditional in dark Belgians) and keep everything else the same. Add some sugar if needed to boost the abv to around 8, and use a trappist yeast. Ferment it warm and let it free rise.
Bam! Totally different beer

I think I'll add some sugar to dry it out. Any other specialty malts I should add in small amounts to best recreate a Belgian?

Add an extra gallon of water and some sugar to make 6 gallons of mild. Hop gently to about 18IBU.

Of course going to a porter or stout is a no brainer, but it NOT the only direction you can go...........

Add another 10 pounds of 2 row ( or more ), mix well, and make a nice red using half of it..... or make an 11 gallon batch. Hop appropriately and call it an Irish red or something. Personally I don't follow styles..... I make what I like to drink....... I'd personally use Nelson Sauvin and Motueka because I like that combination.

Doubling batch size, adding 10 pounds of two row gives you an SRM of 14.4 OG of 1.055 (75% eff) and an ABV of about 5.5.... Add sugar of some sort if you want more alcohol, or cut back on the two row and use some sugar to replace it if you want lighter and dryer. The key is dilution.

The notion that adding sugar will "dry it out" is flat wrong............ Substituting sugar for other fermentables will dry it out...... adding sugar will just give you more alcohol. I use sugar frequently, so I speak from some experience.

H.W.

Back