Help calculating efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocool5878

Reaction score
I did my third brew today. I tried very hard to track everything to get an idea of my efficiency in hopes I can tweak it or maybe adjust my grain ratio to hit my targets. I would like to learn how to figure out my mash efficiency as well as brew house. I assume I will need the FG in order to figure out the latter though

This is what I was going for Blonde Ale - Blonde Moment

My ingredients:

Grain
8.5 lbs (88.9%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L

8 oz (5.6%) — Briess Caramel Malt 10L — Grain — 10 °L

Hops
1.15 oz (17 IBU) — Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 4.2% — Boil — 60 min

0.58 oz
(2 IBU) — Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3% — Boil — 10 min

Miscs
4.9 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
5 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — Danstar Nottingham 75%

BIAB- twice milled grain

I knew that my kettle leaves 1 gallon behind as even when i go to tip it to get more out the screen clogs and i cant get anything else anyway. I don't know how to calculate my grain to make up for this.

I started with 8 gallons of water heated to 157F to hit 152 strike water.

After mashing for 75min I pulled my bag out and squeezed it. I ended with 7.5 gallons ready for boil.
Took a reading with refractometer it was 7 brix

After 1 hr I had 6.55gal left in the kettle.
OG now 8.2 Brix

rehydrated yeast for 15 min and pitched

Thanks for any help you can offer

I might be wrong, but from my brew sheets, I calculated efficiency around 64%, but I did notice your grains only total to 94.5%, per numbers next to the weights.

Dean

I might be wrong, but from my brew sheets, I calculated efficiency around 64%, but I did notice your grains only total to 94.5%, per numbers next to the weights.

Dean
Thanks Dean Yeah my mistake It was originally listed as 8lbs and 0.5lbs I forgot to update the percentages.

I’m with Dean: the Brewer‘s Friend Brewhouse Efficiency calculator puts you at 64.6% overall. It’s easy to use, just need to convert brix to sg first.

I’m with Dean: the Brewer‘s Friend Brewhouse Efficiency calculator puts you at 64.6% overall. It’s easy to use, just need to convert brix to sg first.
Thanks I just took a look at that. So just to confirm you put my batch at 6.5 because of the gallon I left in the kettle?

Thanks I just took a look at that. So just to confirm you put my batch at 6.5 because of the gallon I left in the kettle?
Yes, I used your 6.55g value as the “wort volume”, which is to represent the amount of cooled wort into the fermenter. So,if you were to transfer your wort into your fermenter and leave a bunch of hops and trub in the kettle, that would serve to lower your overall efficiency.

Back