HELP!! Belguim Witbier Protein Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
Hey all,
im doing my first allgrain batch today and im going to be doing a blue moon type clone.

first question is on water- can i fill my pot with a ****ton of water, boil it for 15 minutes and then use that for mashing?

heres my grain bill:
4.5 pounds pale malt 2-row
2.5 flaked wheat
2 pounds white wheat

should i do a protein rest at 122 for 20 minutes? then move up to 152 for

I bought sweet and bitter orange peel, as well as coriander seeds. what type of combination should i use??

i just realized i should have gotten pale malt crisp not pale malt 2-row... what kind of beer will result if i use my grainbill?

I think it will just have a slightly different taste to it.

Crisp Marris otter is a British malt so its going to have a brittish beer taste to it. Ussually 2-row is from USA or Canada and has a different taste then the Crisp marris otter.

It wont screw your beer up it just may taste a little different from what you had intended.

Hi,
You don't need a protein rest - a single step infusion mash is fine with that amount of wheat and malt. The Maris Otter will give you a slightly different character, but it will likely come out just fine.

For orange peel and coriander - I use 3/4 oz of each and only add them in the last 5 minutes of the boil. The coriander should be cracked (not crushed) - just run it through the grain mill to break the seeds open.

Here's the recipe I use for Wit as a reference.

Cheers,
Brad

Latest posts

Back