Help a noob out with Dextrose Measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

Reaction score
So I have a pound of destrose but I only need 5oz to prime tonight. I am pretty sure that fluid oz are different than oz in weight. So how do I measure out 5oz using standard kitchen tools. :eek:

1 cup equals 8 ounces. So 1/2 cup, 4 ounces, plus half of a 1/4 cup will give you the 5 ounces.

Go to the nearest dollar store and get a scale. ;)

I think most people use about 3/4 cup for most beers. The only way to measure the volume of a compactable material and equate it to weight is if you know the specific density of the current sample. It's easier just to do it with a cheap scale.

2/3 - 3/4 cup is a good range for 5 gallons.

get a kitchen scale though. you really want weight, not volume.

I know...I should get a scale, just trying to avoid that. I will do that tomorrow though. Thank you for your quick responses!!

1 cup equals 8 ounces. So 1/2 cup, 4 ounces, plus half of a 1/4 cup will give you the 5 ounces.

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces. That's volume not weight.

1 oz volume is only equal to 1 oz weight when you're talking about water of another liquid of similar density.

On the bright side, for anyone who has this problem, your local brewing supply store should sell dextrose in 5 oz. packages. Just buy one and empty it into a measuring cup: BAM! you've got your answer.

On second thought, if anyone happens to have one of those packets, it would be a kind gesture to measure it and post the answer; I don't have any right now.

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces. That's volume not weight.

1 oz volume is only equal to 1 oz weight when you're talking about water of another liquid of similar density.

On the bright side, for anyone who has this problem, your local brewing supply store should sell dextrose in 5 oz. packages. Just buy one and empty it into a measuring cup: BAM! you've got your answer.

On second thought, if anyone happens to have one of those packets, it would be a kind gesture to measure it and post the answer; I don't have any right now.

Seriously? You bumped up a nearly three year old thread to bring the volume/weight measurement?

We love new people coming in to the forum, but that was a zombie thread!

Crap. Oh man I'm so sorry, I didn't even look at the date. Rookie mistake, won't happen again.

Latest posts

Back