Help a new microbrewery hit the ground running.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZymurgy

Reaction score
My friend and employer Forrest Rogness (Owner of Austin Homebrew Supply) is in the process of opening a microbrewery(Rogness Brewing Company) here in Austin. As is the case when starting any new business capital is crucial to procure the necessary equipment.

Here is where you can help out and get some rad swag at the same time. Kickstarter.com is a catalyst that brings small businesses and would be supporters together. Visit http://kck.st/mYyNlr watch the video, read up, and decide for yourself.

I can personally attest to the quality of the beers that are on their way. Trust me this is worth supporting.

Any amount of support is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with various merchandise and perks.

Cheers,
- Jay

The owner of one of the largest homebrew stores in the country needs capital? Seems a bit strange to me.

I live just down the road of where they want to open -- so I'm eager to see them get off the ground.

AKAIK, they are well funded already -- land, equipment, etc. They are looking to raise $60k to purchase cold-storage and a bottling line to distribute bottles.

If they don't get the $60k, I assume they will only distribute via keg and have to wait on bottles -- like (512) and a few other local breweries -- which really sucks because I like to enjoy my beers at home.

If you have some extra cash -- definitely throw some their way. Their swag is pretty nice too!

I live just down the road of where they want to open -- so I'm eager to see them get off the ground.

AKAIK, they are well funded already -- land, equipment, etc. They are looking to raise $60k to purchase cold-storage and a bottling line to distribute bottles.

If they don't get the $60k, I assume they will only distribute via keg and have to wait on bottles -- like (512) and a few other local breweries -- which really sucks because I like to enjoy my beers at home.

If you have some extra cash -- definitely throw some their way. Their swag is pretty nice too!

A lot of breweries sell growlers until they get on their feet. You can take them home.

Yeah, thanks to the great laws in Texas, you cannot sell at the brewery. You can only sample or sell a pint glass to use in free sampling of beer at a brewery. The only way to get around that garbage is to open a brew pub, and then you cannot sell anything off premise. There was a law in the works (602?), but thanks to the big boys, they shut it down to help save the market share they are slowly losing to the craft and liquor industries.

It was a great idea and would have generated more revenue for the state of Texas, but that's what happens when you have deep pockets and don't like potential changes.

Sorry to be off topic, but I will check out the website and see what I can do to help. At worst, a trip to Austin will be in the works.

Good luck to Rogness brewing.

I'll never understand these fundraising sites though. They can be successful, and it looks like they are selling some good stuff with the different dollar amounts. But I'd rather invest money for private shares if they setup an S-Corp.

It sure is nice of people to donate money for someone else to start a business and try to make a profit, giving them somewhat free capital (they do need to buy the gifts, and pay the fundraising site - my guess is they'll end up with $30k of free capital at the end of this) Maybe I just have too much of a capatalistic approach. I do understand why they wouldn't want to take on outside private investors...

But ah well, I'm just grumpy. Good luck on raising $60k.

I'll never understand these fundraising sites though. They can be successful, and it looks like they are selling some good stuff with the different dollar amounts. But I'd rather invest money for private shares if they setup an S-Corp.

Who wouldn't, you get a return on your capital and with little risk to getting hit with anything legally.

Plus, the first couple of years usually turn out a loss, so it goes against your personal income for tax purposes!

If the goal isn't reached then nothing happens. Neither party is obligated to the other.

I don't think of it as a donation because a donation implies that there is no concession on the part of the recieving party. In this case there is because you get some cool merchandise etc. based on the amount donated. So in a sense you're purchasing products that generate start-up capital and create marketing buzz.

It allows the creative minds behind the business to stay in control without selling shares of ownership. Besides think about what a hard sell a share of a company that has yet to generate a balance sheet would be. It's really a great system.

Thanks again,
- Jay

Back