Help a brother out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekrat

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting my equipment together to brew my first batch. I am most likely going to start with a few extract batches before going in to some biab and eventually having a 3 keggle herms setup. I got a steal on some straight sided 1/2 bbl kegs as well as some pin locks (2 of the 15.5 and 7 cornies for $100). I know there are some beginner's kits and i have looked at most of them but i don't want to end up with equipment that i don't use or need. I want to ferment in glass until i can afford a conicle or equivilent for 10 gallon batches. That being said i know i'll need the 2 carboys, autosiphon, bungs for carboys and airlocks. Other than the kegging equipment and sanitation supplies what else is there that i need to purchase?

Thanks in advance

You'll need a good quality boil kettle appropriate to the size batches you will be doing. If you plan to do 5 gal. batches then a 30-40 qt. kettle will do nicely. You may also want a 7 - 12 gal kettle to use as a hot liquor tank.

You will also need a good hydrometer, fermenting vessels with airlocks, a good scale for measuring grain and hops (accuracy measured in grams). And you need the fastest reading and most accurate thermometer you can afford.

Fermenting temperatures are important. See the various threads regarding the STC-1000 temperature controller. Pick up a decent freezer to use as a fermentation chamber.

Read through the stickies here and the FYI videos on You-Tube and the distributor's sites for the type of brewing you plan. Make notes of the stuff the brewer is using. You'll find that you need other stuff too, but as you brew a few times you'll figure out what you want and need. Best of luck to you!

Cheers! :mug:

What puddlethumper said. You will also want some type of wort chiller. I use an immersion chiller and I'm happy with it. The bigger the better. You will also want a propane burner setup, it makes boiling full volume batches simple. Other than that, once you brew a few batches on your own setup you will realize what you are missing.

Back