Hellooo! New!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njstaticuser

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It may come to a shock to everyone that I am not a beer drinker. ooOOOooo.....THAT IS UNTIL I MADE MY FIRST BEER! :) My friend got me into it awhile back and I have made 4 batches so far! I have made all ales using a bucket to ferment. I do not know the science behind making beers taste the way they do and I hope from joining this site that I will learn that! I am against using kits. I believe hard work pays off! I like to do half malt extract and half grain! My last beer was a wheat and it turned out pretty good! I usually use cascade and goldeen hops. I would like to make a lager and I hope to modify a minifridge for that purpose. Another project I would like to do is construct a force carbonation mechanism so I do not have to wait an additional two weeks! In the future I would like to cultivate my own grain and yeast and really make it from scratch! When I finish school I am going on a europe trip and hope to visit belgium and get some wild yeast there to make a lambic. Does any of this seem plausible? Where is a good place here to start learning the "science" of beer making>

Study your yeast charts and grain lists. They give descriptions of what each type of yeast and grain will contribute to the beer. Then start experimenting by making smaller batches. Also there are some good books that should help you start. Good luck.

My what charts and lists? Where can I get these? How can I tell if one batch is better than the other??? What books would you recommend?

Start with the Joy of home brewing. Then maybe Palmers How to brew. Make some batches, continue reading things like designing Great Beers, Yeast, and so on. It never ends. More technical books, Principals of brewing science, Brew Chem 101.

Back