Hello! New guy here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how does a primary fermenter bucket with a lid and airlock use blowoff tubing? Does a hole need to be drilled?

2 ways it can be done. Either way, make sure the end of the hose is in a container of water (I use old 32oz juice bottles)

1: I stick a 3foot piece of my siphon hose right into the rubber gromet (wet gromet is easier to get started, put the hose in before you put the lid on incase the gromet pops out, it won't be in your wort) so that about 1/2 inch of hose is inside the bucket.
P2150002.JPG

2: take just the airlock body, and slip a piece of tube over or inside the tube (Whatever you can do to get the best fit)
blowoff2.jpg

One last thing I thought of, very much in favor of the kit you are looking at (plastic ferment bucket and two better bottle secondaries). If (when) you decide to move on to all-grain brewing, you will have an easier time equipment wise. You will just need to buy a new primary fermenter, such as a six gallon better bottle to go along with your secondaries, and then you can use your plastic fermenting bucket, along with the bottling bucket to build yourself a mash/lauter tun.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more. Basically, this is a plus that you won't realize right now, but in the long run you will be happy.

Bottom line is, no matter what kit you go with you are going to have a blast brewing, and drinking your homebrew. Enjoy!

So here is where I am headed now.

QUESTION - ?? airlocks for fermenters? Its not real clear if the fermenting buckets have airlocks. Are these needed? wanted?

I would suggest adding StarSan or iodophor sp? to your order. The EZ clean will work OK, but the FDA recognizes it as a "cleaner", not a "sanitizer".

Iodine or starsan are sanitizers.

1 5-6G Stainless Steel Pot (aluminum is not linked to Alzheimers or any other diseases as has been rumored, but apparently steel is better anyway).
1 Plastic bucket with lid (for primary and as bottling bucket)
1 Glass Carboy
1 Plastic Stir stick
Racking cane and about 5 feet of tubing
Thermometer
Hydrometer
I bought 24 16oz flip cap bottles (Grolsch style but dark brown)

All this and a delicious Ale recipe for your first beer and you should be good to go!

Back