Hello from West Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cauzmo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Josh and I'm from Morgantown WV. Complete newbie to homebrewing, but have been doing my research and I think I'm going to love this hobby. I just got in my first set of brewing equipment today and I already have big plans for it. I got a small batch kit because I'm a little limited on space in my apartment, but I also bought 8 additional 1 gallon fermenters so I'll have a little more room to experiment. Tonight I plan on starting a Honey Porter recipe kit from Northern brewer and perhaps a batch of cider as well. Hopefully I don't screw things up too bad on my first go around :). Anyways, thanks for reading and cheers! :mug:

Welcome to the site.
Sounds like your headed down that road... Don't worry, plenty of us on that road too.
Keep us posted and enjoy.

Been a long night. I started a honey porter that is currently bubbling away after only about 12 hours, and I also started an Apple cinnamon brown sugar cider, but no activity in that fermenter yet. Used Nottingham Ale yeast in both.

Correction I pitched Lavlin EC-1118 into the cider.

Prepare for Rocket Fuel. I've used 1118 in a few batches of mead and it takes months to settle down. I'm a noob myself, live in Weston work in Mo'town. Since you have so many jugs I'd recommend a few different yeasts to see which one compliments your recipe the best. I just ordered 71B-1122, which is supposed to leave a lot of fruity notes, but also got K1-V1116 & RC-212 to run 3 batches of the same recipe to see if I notice a difference in what the yeasts bring to the table.

Prepare for Rocket Fuel. I've used 1118 in a few batches of mead and it takes months to settle down. I'm a noob myself, live in Weston work in Mo'town. Since you have so many jugs I'd recommend a few different yeasts to see which one compliments your recipe the best. I just ordered 71B-1122, which is supposed to leave a lot of fruity notes, but also got K1-V1116 & RC-212 to run 3 batches of the same recipe to see if I notice a difference in what the yeasts bring to the table.

Oops lol. Well looks like I'm going to have rocket cider. I just started two more batches of cider today. One was edwort's Apfelwein and the other was cider with blueberries. Used red star montrachet in the Apfelwein and Nottingham ale in the blueberry. Why is homebrewing so addictive?

You just answered your own question. Variety is the spice of life! Especially with home brewing. That's why it's such a "happy madness"! Nasdarovie!

I used 1118 in a basic batch of mead, honey, water, yeast, and nutrients. I bottled 7 pints out of the 1-gal batch. I tried the 1st after a week, I'm not known for patience, and it had real STRONG alcohol to it. I opened on a month thereafter and it took about 4 months for it to become drinkable, 6 to really be enjoyable. I chose that yeast because it is strong, neutral, and with a wide temp range, but it has to age a while. I'm really not sure what it will do in a cider, might be a totally different experience, but you'll have to keep us updated.

Back