Hello From Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLCJanedoe0

Reaction score
My name is Angie. I am hoping to get a brewing kit for my birthday, and if not then I will go out and buy one myself. I want to start brewing beer from my home, and then hopefully, in the near future, I will be able to open up my own brewery/pub. I wanted to join this forum as a way to help keep myself motivated and focused on this goal.
:mug:

Hi! Thanks for the information. I'm on my way to join that forum. Nice to know there's others from Utah out of all places.

Welcome, SLC! Good brewing in the midst of dry surroundings!

Utah doesn't have a single dry county, but we do have several very good brewpubs that kick major butt in the medals round at GABF and World Beer Cup year after year. In the Salt Lake Valley and Park City, anyway. I guess the rest of the state is rather lacking in fresh brewed craft beer. Or were you talking about our high arid climate?

Utah is very dry, in every sense of the word. There's not much of a beer culture there, and yes there is a high arid climate, snowpack not withstanding. There's no dry counties per se like you'll see in the bible belt, but drinking is frowned on by the Mormons.

There are a lot of things frowned upon by the mormons, but that does not stop the rest of the population from doing it. Just like thejerk said, we do have several good brewpubs.

I was actually indeed referring to the climate! I spent the Fourth of July in SLC this summer, and had a few beverages there (we went to a brewpub downtown for beers). It didn't necessarily seem any different than anywhere else when it came to getting beer, so I put that preconceived notion to rest for myself!

EvilTOJ...come on down to SLC. We'll show you a good time. We drove the Mormons out of SLC a long time ago, they're all in Provo now. Well, not really, but we do have good beer culture here in spite of the MINORITY of residents here who are faithful to Joseph Smith's religion. Don't make claims about a place you don't have any idea about.
I won't make any claims myself about rural Utah, only about Salt Lake City proper...

Haha, what's funny is I think mormons are less than half the population now. I think SLC has been fortunate enough to elect some decent mayors who have tried to make the "night life" a ton better than where it was. I think we are slowly getting there. I know there are some new bills in the making trying to change some of the bar laws and how many we can have within a block radius. I think now we are at 2, and they are trying to raise it. I am not too thrilled about the "mormon curtain" thing that the recently passed though. Or maybe it's called the "zion curtain". It's funny because I have come across a lot of people who think people from Utah still wear pilgrim clothing and pull handcarts.

thejerk, I lived in Provo for two years, Park City for seven, and SLC for three. I think I know what it's like there. To be fair, I haven't lived there since 99, and no plans on returning except for brief forays every so often.

SLCJanedoe0, I do believe it's called the Zion Curtain. It's amusing to go to Liberty Park and look for the polygamist families out and about. Sometimes they do dress like Mennonites for some reason.

thejerk, I lived in Provo for two years, Park City for seven, and SLC for three. I think I know what it's like there. To be fair, I haven't lived there since 99, and no plans on returning except for brief forays every so often.

SLCJanedoe0, I do believe it's called the Zion Curtain. It's amusing to go to Liberty Park and look for the polygamist families out and about. Sometimes they do dress like Mennonites for some reason.

The 2002 Olympics brought about the first big alcohol revolution here as huge impetus was seen to lift restrictions and ordinances. I don't know too much about the details of that time as I was still underage (and actually out of the country serving a Mormon mission...*smirk*), but as an example you can now buy alcohol 24 hours a day in Summit County (which as a former PC resident I'm sure you'll appreciate). The election of Jon Huntsman brought about a lot more change last year, as he was committed to increasing tourism in the state and also pushing SLC as a convention city. Voila, no more private clubs, liquor pours increased to 1.5 oz maximum, and homebrewing is finally legal in this state! The only big hurdle we really still have to get over is the requirement that strong beer be served from a bottle, which is huge, I know.
Don't expect any forward progress this year, JaneDoe. The legislature has backed off, saying they don't want the public to feel they are undoing years of control and safety measures after last year's big shake up. Maybe had Huntsman not left us for his ambassadorship position we could have hoped.
Provo, as I found out this weekend when I went down for the Utah game, is an entirely different story. I am 28 years old and could not get a drink. There were NO open bars and the restaurant we went to decided that Utah liquor laws are not restrictive enough, so they required a minimum purchase of $10+ in food per person to be able to order any alcoholic beverage. We walked out, bought a 12 pack of Miller Lite, and hid in a shock of trees down by the river. I felt like a 17 year old kid doing something illegal, hiding from the Po Po. Absolutely ridiculous.
On the off-topic of polygamy, there has also been change there. They used to be integrated fairly well into our communities, but with Warren Jeffs in the national eye and the underage coerced marriages there has been a lot more legal scrutiny and pressure. They've basically all moved down to Colorado City, which is deceptively in Utah just this side of the Arizona border, nowhere near Colorado or any other civilization, for that matter. You might drive by Colorado City if you drive your 4-wheel drive vehicle to the remote parts of the northern Grand Canyon Rim. You won't see the polygs in the parks anymore, just heroin junkies and bums now. I preferred the polygamists and their old fashioned, home-made dresses, jeans and long-sleeve shirts.
But SLC itself has several brewpubs within walking/streetcar distance of each other, with some world-class offerings. The homebrew presence is just creeping out of the shadows, because it was technically illegal for so long, and I've been shocked to see the number and talent of homebrewers here.

Thank you for all of that info. I make it a rule just to stay out of Provo when ever possible. That's horrible, I have a hard time ordering $10 of food with out the alcohol. I was a little disappointed when Huntsman left. Now, I do have a question for you. Thursday is my birthday and I have rented a hotel room downtown for the night. What are your thoughts on Squatters, Red Rock, and Marmont Mesa? I always see red rock really busy. I have never been to Squatters and have never heard of Marmont Mesa. I just wanted to have a cool relaxed place to kick back and drink a few beers.

Marmont Mesa went out of business. Red rock and squatters are just around the corner from each other so you can hit up both if you want. I have reason to be biased, but I prefer squatters beer over red rock, though both brew some good beers. I just think red rock is more hit and miss, depending on what seasonals they have on tap. Red rock is a restaurant and will also require a minimum food purchase (though nothing like the requirements I ran into in provo), unless you can find a seat at the bar, where they do not offer liquor or wine for any of your friends that might prefer it. Squatters has a club license, so they can serve anything anywhere. They have draft selections as well as many strong beers of their own as well as from Wasatch brewing in the bottles.

Ok, I will see how it goes on Thursday. I might just go to both after all. It's just going to be me and my bf so I doubt we will be drinking any liquor. Been trying to stay away from the stuff anyways. I do prefer a big pitcher of draft beer. My bf has been to Squatters once and said it was ok. Which means he wasn't all too impressed. Anyways, thank you very much for the advice!

I live in O' town but make the drive up to Squatters quite a bit. they have a great Brewmaster her name is Jen, she has been there for a long time. She should have the Immigration Amber on nitro tap and also the Hop Riot which is a great beer, try them both.
Up the road in Trolley Square, the Desert Edge is another good brewery although I prefer Squatters. Cheers

Thanks so much for that info. I will have to make sure to check out both of those beers. I don't think I want to walk as far as Trolley Square, but will definitely have to check it out another time. I am staying at the Shilo Inn to avoid driving with quite a few beers in me. Hope it's not too cold!
Thanks again I really appreciate it.:rockin:

If you decide you do want to go to Desert Edge, you can ride Trax to 7th East and 4th South and then just walk a block and a half to Trolley Square. Emigration Amber is never on Nitro, but it is on the regular CO2 tap as well as the cask right now and always delicious (it's my favorite). Hop Head Read is also not on this time of year. Seasonals on tap right now are Payson's Porter, Hop Riot Pale Ale, Holiday Nut Brown Ale, and Black Forest Schwarzbier.

We landed up going to Red Rock. Man did I drink a lot of beer. I had a pitcher of the Holiday Ale (?) first. Then moved on to the blonde ale, and the oatmeal stout. I know I drank a few others but can't remember their names. I had one that had a sage flavor to it, wasn't a big fan of that one. I guess Red Rock now can serve beer with out food, but the waiter told me after a few pitchers that I needed to order food. I told him I was walking and it was ok, he told me I should still order food. So I ordered their onion rings. I had already ate a bunch at PF Changs. Well went back to the hotel, puked all through the halls (I swear it was from too much food, not too much beer). Went back to the room for a few. Went back out and went to like 4-5 other bars. Shock Top is the only thing I remember drinking. So yea that's about it. It was a fun night. I really liked the atmosphere of Red Rock.

Nice. It's not a birthday party if there's no puke. I remember hosting a 21st-party for a younger roommate and all of her similarly-aged friends. Yup, I was cleaning up puke...
Utah's laws lay excessive culpability on your server/bartender. Your server stands to lose a lot if they don't take some steps to attempt to prevent your inebriation. Technically, you still got over-served according to Utah's ridiculous laws, so don't be too bitter toward him for asking you to eat something. Glad you had a good time. What style of beer is that holiday ale?

Welcome to the forums here and welcome to the wonderful wonderful new obsession of homebrewing. It's always good to have another Utahn on here. Do you plan on shopping at The Beer Nut or at Arts Brewing? Both have their ups and downs. If you ever have questions on anything do not hesitate to ask we all love to help.

Damn kids can't keep in their alcohol! haha. Oh no I wasn't bitter at all towards the server. He seemed like a really cool guy and I know he was just doing his job. I was just stuffed! I'm not sure what kind of beer the holiday ale is, I'm still trying to learn all that. It was a dark red color and had a nutmeg after taste. It was really good, though I don't think I could drink a ton of it. It's definately worth stopping by and having a glass!
Today I should be going down to Art's. I hope at least. I'm going to go get my haircut so hopefully that won't take too long so I can get down there before 6.

Is there anyone from Logan that brews beer out there. I used to have to drive to Ogden but then found out there was a little brew store in Richmond of all places. Pretty small but has all the grains, yeast, hops that you need. Plus a lot of Coopers, Muntons beer kits. Seem like really good prices

Is there anyone from Logan that brews beer out there. I used to have to drive to Ogden but then found out there was a little brew store in Richmond of all places. Pretty small but has all the grains, yeast, hops that you need. Plus a lot of Coopers, Muntons beer kits. Seem like really good prices

What is the name of this store? I am from Brigham City and I go to Logan a lot more than I go to Ogden.

Angie,
Welcome! Keep a close eye on KSL classifieds. Often you can find great deals on brewing equipment when people quit or upgrade. I have an available chiller coil if you are interested. Happy brewing!

Back