Hello from Plainfield, Illinois!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teewinot

Reaction score
Just a quick first post to introduce myself. I'm a complete newb, having yet to brew my first batch of home brew. I was introduced to the hobby by my neighbor, who has been brewing his own for quite a while.

I've assisted (and done all the work on at least one occasion) him with his brew, so, while a self-proclaimed "newb", I feel pretty comfortable with the process. But I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for all you pros out there!

Anyway, thanks for having me! I hope to be a long-time, oft-contributing member of the great community!

P.S. teewinot is the name of a mountain peak in the Teton range in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, my favorite place by far in the whole world! Real name is Chris.

There are like 4 guys here from Plainfield, I'm from Schaumburg. You should meet up with us some time for a SNIZZLE get together.

(Society of Northern Illinois Zymurgy Zealots and Libation Enthusiasts)

Teewinot said:
P.S. teewinot is the name of a mountain peak in the Teton range in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, my favorite place by far in the whole world! Real name is Chris.
Welcome!!!

Although I've spent hundreds of hours in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, it's still my most favorite watering hole in the world...:D :mug:

Welcome aboard! Another Illini here from La Salle. Last time I was in Plainfield was to help my uncle clean up after a tornado ***** slapped his house, but thats been several years ago.

Hey Chris,
Welcome aboard! Always good to see another local guy. Quite a few Plainfield people are homebrewers.
Cheers!

Another illini (Naperville) chiming in here. Just wanted to say hello. Not a newb to the hobby, just to this board.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

As for the equipment that I have:

2 6.5 gal buckets with lids
1 3-piece airlock
6' (approx) tubing and racking cane
hydrometer
thermometer
a couple of bottle brushes
hand held capper

Pretty much all that I need to start. One thing holding me back was bottling. Being a lazy B@#&%$d at heart, I was hoping for something easier than bottles, but since I have no place for a kegerator at the moment, I may have to motivate and use bottles.

I also need to get my cooking equipment as well. So I'm just at the point of taking the initial hit for all of that. But I'll keep you all notified, and I'll take pics of my first true independent brewing experience!

Teewinot said:
Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

As for the equipment that I have:

2 6.5 gal buckets with lids
1 3-piece airlock
6' (approx) tubing and racking cane
hydrometer
thermometer
a couple of bottle brushes
hand held capper

Pretty much all that I need to start. One thing holding me back was bottling. Being a lazy B@#&%$d at heart, I was hoping for something easier than bottles, but since I have no place for a kegerator at the moment, I may have to motivate and use bottles.

I also need to get my cooking equipment as well. So I'm just at the point of taking the initial hit for all of that. But I'll keep you all notified, and I'll take pics of my first true independent brewing experience!

Good start to equipment. You might want to get yourself another airlock (one per bucket). You might also want to pick up some grain bags (for steeping) either online or at your LHBS. Also, go to Home Depot and buy:
  • 20' bundle of vinyl hosing (it's less than $5)
  • at least one more 5 gal. bucket
  • a plastic valve for one of those buckets.

Drill an appropriate hole at the bottom of one of those buckets and you have a cheap bottling bucket.

Get your friends to save their bottles (non twist off type) and tell them to rinse them out after drinking with hot water. It is then an easy thing to clean them with PBW and a final rinse with Star-San sanitizer before bottling. Don't forget to sanitize caps too. You also need a bottle filling cane, filling wand and vinyl tubing.
It's an easy task to bottle. Note: larger bottles work too, I have some older wine or champagne bottles that use beer caps that hold 25 ounces each. There are 128 ounces in a gallon so it would only take 25 of them to fill. You can keg later when you hve the equipment.

I missed it too - welcome. Man, we've got a ton of people in Plainfield.

We'll have to make sure to do another general announcement when we do out next get-together.

When is the next get-together? Restaurant or brew session? Hopefully I won't have other obligations next time, unlike the last two or three.

Teewinot said:
One thing holding me back was bottling. Being a lazy B@#&%$d at heart, I was hoping for something easier than bottles, but since I have no place for a kegerator at the moment, I may have to motivate and use bottles.

I went with a Tap-A-Draft, and I like it. Its very portable (for parties). It says it can push out the whole 1.6 gallons with only 2 cartridges, but I'm inpatient and swap in another after a little more than half is gone.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAP_A_DRAFT_DISPENSING_SYSTEM_C120.cfm

The $60 kit is all you need to get started. CO2 is a little annoying in 10gm containers though. Even with this, I can tell I will eventually move to kegs

Cheesefood said:
When is the next get-together? Restaurant or brew session? Hopefully I won't have other obligations next time, unlike the last two or three.

FermentEd found this..

Autumn Beer Tasting

Featuring Award Winning Victory Pale Ale!

September 11th in West Dundee,

September 18th in Oswego and

September 25th in Downers Grove

What is it?
A free tasting of Emmett’s beer alongside 2 other commercial brands of the same style. You will also get a brewery tour and short history of beer making and tonight’s featured style.

What Time?
7pm

Who?
Anyone 21 and older is welcome.

How Much?
This event costs you nothing!

That's might work. And I'm always willing to host another brew day unless someone else feels like it.

West Dundee is over an hour away for most of us and it's next week - not much time to plan. Oswego is a nice place, but no brewery to tour. (And I can't make that day anyway;)) Seems like Downers on the 25th would give us enough time to organize.

September 25th is a Tuesday - I just assumed it was a weekend. I can, as of right now, attend. Should we start a new thread on this??

Back