Hello from North Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking around for a couple of months, so I thought I would say hi again!!!

Post #2!!!!!!!:mug:

Anyway, I am still looking at what kit to buy. I have never brewed before, but have helped a couple of friends, and as my wife knows, I love a good beer!!

So I will probably start with just the basics and hopefully try to make a hefe this weekend....

cheers !!:tank:

Chad

You picked a good place to do your research. I've used this site over the past year and have learned a lot.

I live in B'ham now, but spent time in Huntsvegas during the 70's and early 80's.

A Hef is a great first brew...you may want to look at an American Wheat also.

Is the American similar to the Hefe? I have found I really like the taste of a Hefe.....been trying different ones lately....

The American Wheat is basically the same as a Hefe. Beer Advocate has a great style guide that explains each style

here's a link.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/93

In case you would like a recipe...here's a link to one I did last Spring. It was SUPER easy to brew. My friends loved it. Hefes and Wheats really aren't my favorite kind of beers so I had to depend on my friends reviews. I used the Hefe yeast, which added some banana and clove flavors.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_-9EWi2S-D_w...Ak/CBNIm4n5ahw/s1600-h/Wheat_Cahaba+River.jpg

Hate to bust in on your introduction thread, but i've been lurking for a while too. I'm from Madison, saw this thread and figured what the hey, might as well say hello myself. I didnt buy a kit, but assembled what i wanted from a local store here. I probably paid a few bucks more, but I got exactly what I wanted and they were very helpful. PM me if you want more info on the store.

Welcome to the forum Tool... You're dead on. If you have a LHBS in your area, use them. I would have crashed and burned without the guys at the shop here. They'll help guide you through what kit best meets your needs.

And 99....
If I make an American Wheat (all wheat malt) and use Hefe yeast and german hops does it make a Whefe? /;) :p

Did you go to Pearly gates Tool, or is there another store I don't know about...

I have thought about buying my stuff here instead of mail order....There is a guy in town that sells keg setups, so I thought about getting what I wanted and skipping bottling alltogether......except for maybe small batches.....

I actually live in Monrovia, so not too far away from Madison....in fact I ate at Surin last night.......

Chad

I've yet to meet up with the keg kits guy, his hours are pretty weird, must be his weekend hobby or something. I talked to him on the phone and he said that most of his buisness is internet stuff, but he will also meet on appointment in the evenings.

Were not far from each other at all, I live right off of wall triana, and my dad lives in hazel green, so i pass through monrovia quite often.

You arent by chance the guy from bandito are you? If so, we met that day trying to track down the keg kits guy.

Nope, thats not me...I saw the keg guy on Ebay, but didn't know he had a website...

I used to live off Wall between Nick davis and Capshaw......Now I'm off blake bottom road...

I will be hopefuly brewing my first batch Friday or Sat......I will probably buy a keg kit from the guy in the next couple of weeks, seeing as I already have a fridge in the garage, that my SWMBO said "You already keep beer in it, go ahead and make it a kegerator....:ban:

ain't that sweet............

cheers :mug:

Chad

Back