Hello from Kansas City, MO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Been brewing since October. Thought I would sign up to learn a little more about brewing. And to waste time at work. Would like to start creating my own recipes soon and figured this would be a great place to start learning. Have a good one!

Ya, I need to check out that Baccus and Barleycorn store. I work in Overland Park, so I usually just shoot over to the Homebrew Pro Shoppe in Olathe to grab what I need. Wasn't sure if you were aware of anyplace around here with amazing deals that I didn't know about. Thanks Hophead.

Well, to be honest, I don't have much to compare it to since it's the only homebrew store I have been in. Most of the store is taken up by wine making supplies. They have all your basic supplies of course. They have quite a few of their own recipe kits available although the ones that I have tried haven't been the best but drinkable. Most of the kits come with both DME/LME and no Irish Moss. I think LME makes beers taste all the same. I haven't started AG yet but it didn't look like he had a huge selection although he does have a descent number of hops to choose from. I would say most of products he has are a little above average on cost.

I get all my recipe stuff through northernbrewer you save a ton of money with the cheap shipping. It's cheaper then me driving all the way to shawnee or Olathe from my place.

I bet. I will probably start doing the same. I had a $100 worth of gift certificates there so I am trying to use all that up. It would be dumb not to. Good chattin with you man and I will talk with you later.

I have a Belgian blonde ale next up on the list. It's going to be pretty intense and i'm totally stoked about it! I threw two Wyeast 1388 activators into a 1/2 gallon starter on Sunday (would have done one but I didn't want to pitch a gallon-sized starter) and put it in the refrigerator last night. It's hungry and ready for action! Recipe is 10# Belgian pils, 2# Belgian wheat, 1# clear candi sugar, and 0.5# CaraVienne malt. Three hops additions: Golding 4% for 90 min, crystal 3% for 60 min, and Nugget 13% for 20 minutes. It may be a bit hoppier than traditional but it's still within the limits of the style.

I never thought there would be other people brewing beer right around the corner from me !! I'm in Brookside and just finished an over-hopped batch of IPA 2 days ago. So far I've purchased all my stuff at B&B and have good success with by beer coming out pretty close to the style and taste I was shooting for.

Still haven't made my way over to B&B. Been ordering online lately. From your profile, looks like you could teach me a few things about making some good beer with all that schoolin your doing:mug: Trying to get into the AG process myself. Just bought a new cooler for a MLT myself. Waiting on some more funds to complete it. Hope that IPA turns out great. One of my fav's.

I got most of my stuff at B&B got their home brew kit.and for round 3 got the malt extract there but hops from Willamette Valley Hops i found on facebook..

Hey you all, I live 2 hours north of KC. I've only been to one homebrew shop in KC and that was Pro Shoppe, but I think I'll be stopping by B&B next time the SWMBO says we can afford it. If anyone ever wants to get together and swap bottles of brew!!!!

NWMO I got to ask SWMBO? I bet i have one too...lol So far i have only done kegs and took the brew to the local Homebrew clubs meeting in a growler. What Styles do you enjoy brewing/Drinking?

I'm a wheat drinker, but am getting ready to bottle my second batch which is a holiday ale. I made it to B&B today before the snow and liked it, the people were more helpful than homebrew pro shoppe. I had to buy some 22 oz bottles because I realized I only had 35 12 oz bottles

Before I forget, there's another place in Independence, I've never been there...

http://www.eckraus.com/

I go there pretty often. They are only 5 miles from me and open on Saturday until 1:00.

Their prices are much cheaper in store than what they say online. I think this is because they offer free shipping online if you spend over $25. Like the 6 gallon glass carboys say $52.40 online, but if you go there they are only $35+tax, I think it was $38.45 total.

Also, I believe they give another 10% off in store if you spend over $25. They have been cheaper than Homebrew Pro Shoppe on everything I've needed.

I'll need to check out the Independence store because I like going with the SWMBO to Independence Center when we got the cash. She wants to get me a carboy for christmas and told her not to spend over $50 which is what B&B was asking. She got mad at me for suggesting to find one on Craigslist

If you get the Bacchus card it ends up being 10% off everything.. so then theirs is only $45 which is cheap enough for me with out shippping and i can take it home that moment plus B&B is only about 10 minutes away from me..

Matter of fact, I might check out B&B tonight. Just recently tried my hand at an all grain batch. Didn't go to well. Overestimated my water levels and turned out very diluted. Need to give it another try. Glad to see some good reviews about it.

Sorry to hear your all grain attempt didn't go so well. Calculating the sparge water volume can be a bit tricky but is primarily a function of your boil off rate, grain absorption, and dead space loss.

Generally speaking I find that the coefficient of water absorption is 0.6364 (when measuring in gallons) at a water/grain ratio of 1.6 quarts water / 1 lb grain.

My formula is long but it has never failed me:

Post boil volume + (boil-off rate * length of boil) - (0.6364 * Mash water volume) + (0.0288*(Post boil volume + (boil-off rate * length of boil)) - 0.6364 * Mash water volume)

So you're adding your target post-boil volume to how much water you will boil off, minus the water you collected during the mash and finally adding back in your dead space losses. Works like a charm!

Thanks for the info Mighty. I will give it a whirl. Somehow I ended up with about 9 gallons of wort pre-boil. I knew it wasn't right but I wanted to go by the directions that came with the kit. Unfortunately I got a little antsy and messed up both on my own account. Thanks again for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Just remember that this only applies if your mash water/grain ratio is 1.6qts water/1lb grain.

Your boil-off rate is important and will probably be most affected by the diameter of the pot you boil in. Atmospheric conditions, the BTU output of your burner, and your methodology (like, do you pre-heat your mash water while sparging?) will also apply. With 9 gallons of collected wort (i'm assuming your target was 6), that's actually not too far off. A two hour boil would have taken that down pretty close to 6.

Also, don't shy too far away from overshooting your collected wort volume. It's always better to overshoot your pre-boil volume and have a longer boil than to undershoot your volume and have either a too-high gravity or (god fobid) have to add water at the end.

Back