Hello from Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonecutter2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed some lager in a Mr Beer a long time ago, and I want to start brewing some beer again. Trying to get started. I need an overview of the basic equipment and process, is there someone with a handy link that will give the basic info like equipment and process?

My local shop has some equipment, but no "kits"...so I'm not sure I'll get what I really need.

Looking forward to reading the collective knowledge and advice here!

I looked at some quick videos on Northern Brewer and Brooklyn Brew Shop to get some ideas of what equipment was important. I ended up ordering from Northern Brewer for my initial small batch equipment. So far, I've brewed two one gallon kits and can't wait to taste the results.

Good luck in your adventure!

P. S. I'm in Northern IL.

The kits from the major online vendors are good. A LHBS will swap out items for a premium- I wanted a bench capper, already had a digital thermometer etc. Plus, a LHBS, if great, can be a good source of advice.

Welcome to the group!

Their are lots of ways to brew, kits, brew in a bag, ect..... I'm guessing you want a kit, they come with instructions and you-tube is a great way to see what others are doing. If you say where in IL you are it may help? You may want to find a brew club and join them for a brew day, if you ask I bet they say it's OK.

I looked at some quick videos on Northern Brewer and Brooklyn Brew Shop to get some ideas of what equipment was important. I ended up ordering from Northern Brewer for my initial small batch equipment. So far, I've brewed two one gallon kits and can't wait to taste the results.

Nice, thanks for the tip! I'll check them out :)

The kits from the major online vendors are good. A LHBS will swap out items for a premium- I wanted a bench capper, already had a digital thermometer etc. Plus, a LHBS, if great, can be a good source of advice.

Welcome to the group!

The local shop I've got near me (that I've found) is a liquor store that has a corner of it full of brewing gear and ingredients. From what I could tell poking around, it was just a la carte - buy what you want. I can check and see if they have complete kits. I'm just excited to see a place with several easy to obtain ingredients for brewing.

Their are lots of ways to brew, kits, brew in a bag, ect..... I'm guessing you want a kit, they come with instructions and you-tube is a great way to see what others are doing. If you say where in IL you are it may help? You may want to find a brew club and join them for a brew day, if you ask I bet they say it's OK.

D'oh, good point - I'm in Bloomington, IL. Maybe someone will have a local club or advice on a good place to go. Thanks!

I looked up Northern Brewer and I really like the look of their 1 gallon kit. The variety to then brew up some different batches would be cool. I also was getting back into brewing to try the White House beer recipes, and Northern Brewer has kits to make it - so that's awesome! Thanks again!

Those were the first two beers I brewed. The are still in the fermenter but I can't wait to taste them. The instructions were well presented and easy to follow.

If you are ever up around Joliet/Plainfield area stop into Chicago Brew Werks. Brandon runs a great place and he is super knowledgable. Good luck

Back