Hello from Huntington, WV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adfirmus

Reaction score
Hello all!
I just finished brewing my first beer. After deciding for 4 months whether or not to get a homebrew kit, i had some extra money left over and decided to take the plunge. I got the basic brewing kit from Midwest and their Belgian Wit specialty grain/extract kit. Not necessarily my favorite style (I prefer hoppier beers like pale ales and stouts), but it's a style that my girlfriend, friends, and family likes, so i can share with them. And i've been interested in trying more belgian style beers, so i figured homebrew was easier than trying to find decent beers in WV, or bootlegging from OH or KY. :D

I've always been interested in brewing beer ever since i saw an infomercial for a Mr.Beer kit when i was about 8. I didn't know i would like beer, and probably wouldn't have at the time :cross: but for some reason the idea of homebrewing and seeing the finished products looked so appetizing!

But i just finished brewing the Wit, everything seem to go off with out a hitch, although i kept dropping the spoon in the wort and splashing hot wort on myself. I've found out that brewing in a very tiny kitchen (I live in an Apartment) can be very difficult. Especially when the kettle, buckets, etc. are much bigger than my sink. I pitched the yeast at about 80 degrees, but i'm not sure how accurate those little sticky thermometers are. It's a little high, but i ran out of ice cubes to cool the wort and don't have a wort cooler. Next time i'll pick up a bag of Ice. I figure it should be alright with the liquid belgian strain of yeast. And hopefully everything was sanitized alright with the generic sani in the brew kit. But i'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to sit on it for a couple weeks like everyone says and expect the best! :D plus, i need to finish more cases of beer to get enough bottles :drunk:

BTW Reading everything on this forum as really helped me out. I've hardly at to refer to instructions or books after reading everyone's post and helpful tips, especially from you moderators!

Welcome oh yee who hail from Wild and Wonderful WV :mug:

So, let's see how many times you go check on your bucket. ;)

Welcome oh yee who hail from Wild and Wonderful WV :mug:

So, let's see how many times you go check on your bucket. ;)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm fairly patient, and my fermenter is right by a doorway so I can check the airlock. I don't think i'll have any trouble fighting the urge to open it up to much...

...Atleast not until the airlock stops bubbling and I have a panic attack and start posting on this forum about re-pitching, raising the fermentation temp, and agitating the bucket. :)

I made a number of mistakes on my first brew, and it turned out OK. You demonstrated that you have the right attitude when you wrote, "I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to sit on it for a couple weeks like everyone says and expect the best!" That's the spirit of RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back