Hello From Harrisburg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhNo789

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Caleb from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and I'm trying to join the brewer ranks. I've been reading How to Brew by John J Palmer along with a few of the Style Series books - I get a few every pay period. I've been religiously trying new beer since I became of age, and just started really researching a couple of weeks ago. I've gained a lot of information from the forums already,I'm excited to see how much my knowledge base grows!

Welcome Caleb. I'm over in Bucks County and in Harrisburg a bit for work. There is Steve's Homebrew all over the place. There is also Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville if you want to take a drive down the turnpike. Heck, just go to Troegs to get a good education on A+ beer.

Slainte

Thou shalt go to the Tap House downtown Harrisburg, on Second Street. Thou shalt sample the amazing selection on their 100 taps. Thou shalt not post about your experience because I'll get jealous.

Hello caleb, I have a brother in law with that name. I live about an hour south of you in State Line, PA along I81. Harrisburg has some very nice places to try beer and you are pretty close to a couple breweries which is always nice. I'm sure you will find some other brewers near you. welcome to the forum.

Welcome Caleb. I'm over in Bucks County and in Harrisburg a bit for work. There is Steve's Homebrew all over the place. There is also Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville if you want to take a drive down the turnpike. Heck, just go to Troegs to get a good education on A+ beer.

Slainte

Yeah, living around here, Troegs is a pretty good place to go. I haven't been on a tour yet, but that's where I got my first growler. I was looking into Keystone Homebrew. I want to go for my BJCP, and they had a study session this year for it. Wonder if they'll have one next year.

Welcome! I love Harrisburg and am there once a year!

It's a nice area sometimes! We are definitely blessed with breweries and a few really good beer bars.

Thou shalt go to the Tap House downtown Harrisburg, on Second Street. Thou shalt sample the amazing selection on their 100 taps. Thou shalt not post about your experience because I'll get jealous.

The manager for my sister's band books for that place. It's pretty nice. My only gripe is that their snifter cutoff is at about 6.5%, and it isn't based on the type. There's a microbrew pub right across the street called Anthony's with a pretty good selection (102 taps), and they make some of the best pizza until two. There's also Shady's which has, if I'm not mistaken, about 60.

Hello caleb, I have a brother in law with that name. I live about an hour south of you in State Line, PA along I81. Harrisburg has some very nice places to try beer and you are pretty close to a couple breweries which is always nice. I'm sure you will find some other brewers near you. welcome to the forum.

You know, I always wondered if state line was a real place. Every time I drive to Baltimore the sign and the fireworks place catch me off guard.

:mug: to you all!

Welcome! I too like that area, the swmbo worked at the capitol for four years which acclimated me to the area pretty well.

Welcome to the forum from another noob!

Welcome to the forum. I live in Camp Hill. I do all of my homebrew shopping at Breski Beverage, if I don't buy it online.

I too prefer Anthony's over the overpriced taphouse across the street. Al's of Hampden is usually my first choice though.

sj3324 said:
Welcome to the forum. I live in Camp Hill. I do all of my homebrew shopping at Breski Beverage, if I don't buy it online.

I too prefer Anthony's over the overpriced taphouse across the street. Al's of Hampden is usually my first choice though.

I'm a big fan of the guys at Pizza Boy. Usually I only go there if I want one of their brews. They've got a good Tröegs deal too I saw.

I went to Scotzin Bros for the first time last week, and they all seemed very nice. Seems like a good job, working with beer and beer supplies all day. Perhaps if I'm lucky and study hard I'll get to work in the industry some day.

gone_fishing said:
Mudhook in York is good

I'll have to remember that one. Thanks for the tip!

OhNo789 said:
I'm a big fan of the guys at Pizza Boy. Usually I only go there if I want one of their brews. They've got a good Tröegs deal too I saw.

I went to Scotzin Bros for the first time last week, and they all seemed very nice. Seems like a good job, working with beer and beer supplies all day. Perhaps if I'm lucky and study hard I'll get to work in the industry some day.

I'll have to remember that one. Thanks for the tip!

Shoot me a pm if you want to grab a beer or if you need/want any assistance brewing.

Nice to see some more PA people on here. Harrisburg has a nice selection of bars and breweries. I drive through and fill growlers on occasion. I'm up in State College. Enjoy having a homebrew shop near by and read all you can on here. The members are very helpful and have quite a lot of knowledge to be tapped into if needed. Have fun brewing!

kagythings said:
Nice to see some more PA people on here. Harrisburg has a nice selection of bars and breweries. I drive through and fill growlers on occasion. I'm up in State College. Enjoy having a homebrew shop near by and read all you can on here. The members are very helpful and have quite a lot of knowledge to be tapped into if needed. Have fun brewing!

Thank you! I'm really enjoying lurking around the forums. Absorbing everything all of you lovely people have to teach!

sj3324 said:
Shoot me a pm if you want to grab a beer or if you need/want any assistance brewing.

Are you attending the fest at ABC tomorrow? I'm going to the earlier session. If you are, we should meet up.

OhNo789 said:
Thank you! I'm really enjoying lurking around the forums. Absorbing everything all of you lovely people have to teach!

Are you attending the fest at ABC tomorrow? I'm going to the earlier session. If you are, we should meet up.

I have been thinking about it. I may call and see about tickets in the morning.

Welcome!

If you get a chance and want a nice drive down I-83 do yourself a favor and visit Gunpowder Falls Brewing in New Freedom, PA. GFB is a small upstart by a gentleman named Martin Virga who was previously brewing for Capital City Brewing in Northern VA. He has three beers right now, the usual Dunkel and Pilsner and his current seasonal is a Marzen. He went to brewing school in Munich... if you like German beer you'll be blown away. His Dunkel is one of the best I've had.

gone_fishing said:
Going to Fed Tap House tonight for Eagles game if anyone is around.

Damn! Had I seen this I would've gone. I need to check this daily. I'm going out tonight if anyone is free.

billym99 said:
Welcome! If you get a chance and want a nice drive down I-83 do yourself a favor and visit Gunpowder Falls Brewing in New Freedom, PA. GFB is a small upstart by a gentleman named Martin Virga who was previously brewing for Capital City Brewing in Northern VA. He has three beers right now, the usual Dunkel and Pilsner and his current seasonal is a Marzen. He went to brewing school in Munich... if you like German beer you'll be blown away. His Dunkel is one of the best I've had.

I certainly will! Thanks for the suggestion!

Is Anthony's in Harrisburg? Is there any place close to Hershey - I'm heading to there tomorrow...

Yes, Anthony's is in Harrisburg. Troeg's is in Hershey. Also, the Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown is very good, and not too far from Hershey.

I'm down 15 from you guys... thru Gettysburg & then MD, just on the other side of the Potomac

practically neighbors!

welcome to the forums & the obsession!

Back