Hello from Halifax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd

Reaction score
Greetings to you all. It's a real pleasure to consider myself a member of this prestigious forum, after months of looking over my roommate's shoulder.

Thanks, all. Yes, I've been brewing for about 8 months. My roommates and I are about to do our first AG batch on Monday.

Hey, Judy. I'm putting on a load of darks in about half an hour, if you want to throw anything in. Then I'm going to sleep. We have a big brew day tomorrow.

Kai said:
Hey, Judy. I'm putting on a load of darks in about half an hour, if you want to throw anything in. Then I'm going to sleep. We have a big brew day tomorrow.

That was pretty lame, Kai.

Judd said:
Thanks, all. Yes, I've been brewing for about 8 months. My roommates and I are about to do our first AG batch on Monday.
You guys brewing in or outside, could be snow...

We brew inside. Drives our other roommate nuts (she hates the smell). It makes quite the mess. I never thought I would have to mop a ceiling, but here we are.

Judd said:
...It makes quite the mess. I never thought I would have to mop a ceiling, but here we are.
If you're using the 3 piece airlocks (not the S type) try cutting off the little cross-hatch on the bottom. That really helps prevent clogging.

I tried the 3-piece airlocks. Wasn't a fan. I only use them as a last resort now. For some reason, they just seem less... less fun.

Or try a blow-off tube. It's good protection for violent fermentations. Once it dies down you can always revert to the fun s-shaped air-locks.

Good luck w/ your brewing.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually referring to the drops of sugar you get on the ceiling after repeated brewing. Like tiny stalactites (or stalagmites? I can never remember). Is it actually possible to have a fermentation so vigorous it hits the ceiling? Oh my!

Judd said:
Thanks for the advice. I was actually referring to the drops of sugar you get on the ceiling after repeated brewing. Like tiny stalactites (or stalagmites? I can never remember). Is it actually possible to have a fermentation so vigorous it hits the ceiling? Oh my!

Stalagmites MITE touch the ceiling, but stalactites have to hold on TITE so they don't fall to the ground. :mug:

And yes, you can have fermentations that hit the ceiling oh yes sir yes sir you most certainly can. :rockin:

Back