Hello from Central WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevZen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I won home brewing lessons in a church auction (yes, I was determined to outbid the others), and had the lessons July 12. Brewed our first batch, a nut brown ale, on July 17 and opened the first bottle from it yesterday - wonderful!

Decided I wanted to brew several batches in quick succession so that I could get used to the process - so I have now also bottled a porter and a cream ale, and in the secondary fermenter an amber ale, with an IPA in the primary fermenter (lots of bubbling action this morning).

REALLY enjoying this - will have a bunch of people in next weekend to help try those first three batches.... Been browsing the forum and am already looking forward to trying some of the recipes that have been shared... like the Pumpkin Ale once pumpkins are in season.

Well, it's time for me to head off to work - can't spend all my time brewing!

SGZ

Welcome! I take it from your screen name that you're clergy at your church. I've brought my beer and cider to church picnics and events. And have contributed it to silent auctions for other organizations. Cheers!

Welcome! I take it from your screen name that you're clergy at your church. I've brought my beer and cider to church picnics and events. And have contributed it to silent auctions for other organizations. Cheers!
Thanks for the welcome, Pappers - yes, I'm clergy. A church member gave me some of his cider last week - nice, very nice. The member who gave me my initial brewing lessons (and has put up with my questions) has some really marvelous brews, too. Since everyone knew I won the lessons, I've got an open house for church folks next weekend - figuring that if the brews turn out well, it's nice to share - and if they turn out badly, good to have help drinking them. ;)

Welcome to HBT, Rev!
Thanks, Birdman!

Came home from work to find the IPA bubbling strongly - and a good brewing smell as I walked in the door. I'll be impatient for this one!

Sláinte,
SGZ

Thanks for the welcome, Pappers - yes, I'm clergy. A church member gave me some of his cider last week - nice, very nice. The member who gave me my initial brewing lessons (and has put up with my questions) has some really marvelous brews, too. Since everyone knew I won the lessons, I've got an open house for church folks next weekend - figuring that if the brews turn out well, it's nice to share - and if they turn out badly, good to have help drinking them. ;)

Zen, I forgot to mention that I'm the pastor's spouse! My wife serves a Lutheran congregation.

Welcome from down by Kenosha. :mug:
Thanks, Michael!
:cool:
Zen, I forgot to mention that I'm the pastor's spouse! My wife serves a Lutheran congregation.
How 'bout that, Pappers? My husband is the pastor's spouse, too - and being Catholic, never envisioned himself being married to the pastor! I'm Presbyterian - but our sons all have gone to a Lutheran college. The youngest is learning to brew with me (when he isn't at school) - the older two are too far away, but next week we'll take some homebrew out to their grandparents, and they may drop by to try some (when we'll only be 100 miles away instead of 900). Unless, of course, Hurricane Irene makes travel to E. Penna too difficult.

Sláinte,
Susan

Welcome to the board, RevZen! As an ex-Wisconsinite, I envy your location! My wife and I would both love to move to Stevens Point...because we like it. Anyway, please know that brewing quickly becomes an addiction! Just be prepared! And I'm kinda semi-clergy: retired church musician/teacher in the LCMS.

glenn514:mug:

Hi Glenn,

I already see the addictive properties - I learned how to brew on July 12 and have 5 brews so far. If I weren't entertaining this weekend, I'd be brewing.

We love Central WI - lived in the Chicago area for 29 years (that's me, my husband lived there forever) before moving here, and while we loved Chicago, we don't miss it. No traffic, great weather here (I don't mind winter, and hate heat, so this is paradise).

Church musicians are wonderful - and when everyone is healthy, the minister/musician partnership is a great dynamic. Our musician is fantastic! And our educator is superwoman - ministry is a team effort: staff & members, all together. Any solo players weaken the whole thing. Just my $0.02.

Sláinte,
Susan

Latest posts

Back